Monster Pod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snotman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok...easy questions for most of you guys!

I alwasy worry that I dont have a suitable pod population as I dont see them, and to be honest I have yet to do a night watch of my tank to confirm either way. I have added a couple of large pod cultures to my tank so presume I have.

My questions:
Last night whilstbusying myself about the tank I say a molt float past. This molt looked identical to the Amphipods I have seen pictures of. A kidney bean shaped flea like bug. It was clear and looked just like my normal shrimp molts hence I am calling it a molt. However, this molt was over 5mm long 8O
Can pods get that big?
Do they even Molt?

Yes pods get that big and yes like most inverts they molt as they grow. Typically you won't see the molts but I have from time to time. I suspect once you do a night watch you will be happy to know you have TONS of them :D

I agree, all of the inverts that have exoskeletons will molt, to let them grow. I generally see them come out when I feed the tank and some food lands next to a rock, they don't come all the way out but I can still see them.

Cheers for that.

I saw the size of the molt and thought "Holy Crap" these are supposed to be like flea's ! I thought I may have the pod equivelent of Godzilla in there somewhere :D

pods is a generic term for over 12,000 species of Calanoid, Harpacticoid, and Cyclopoid invertebrate. Granted most are flea size some can get up to 1/2".

www.wetwebmedia.com has a great article for more info on them :D

Back
Top Bottom