More Macroalgae or something else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sadial

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been watching these objects slowly spread across a piece of rubble rock for a few weeks now. They remind me of semi-transparent rose petals. Any idea if this is more macroalgae or something else?

img_1186757_0_be67c4fab48377213d65c0bf6f0c2c14.jpg

I just checked my tank and my emerald crab has crawled on top of the rock. This gives an idea of scale.

img_1186757_1_d8f610fab4920971f6f49c13122377ac.jpg

Also - Is the white q-tip looking object on the front and center of the rock a sponge? It looks like it has small tentacles at the tip. There are several of these popping up.

img_1186757_2_a587e0502b96cd922fcd76a71a3f6c5e.jpg

And finally, does anyone know what this is? It began growing on a chunk of base rock. It is in a high current area. There is some algae growing around it and the algae moves in the current but this doesn't move/sway. Is this macroalgae or some sort of coral and does anyone know if it is good or bad or indifferent?

img_1186757_3_ba26c78918525199863a92ce94596d1f.jpg

Thanks

red bubble algae.
'Bubble' Alage: Selected Descriptions, Controls and Comments by Horge Cortes-Jorge, Jr. - Reefkeeping.com

the Q-tip is in fact commonly called a Q-tip sponge.
the last algae is possibly sargassum. i can't be sure without a closer pic.

Yep, looks like the Q-tip sponge is what I have. Good to know.

This hitchiker algae is driving me bonkers. It does look like sargassum, now that you pointed it out. I'm unsuccessful trying to get a closer pic. The camera isn't focusing well on it - but I think you're right with the ID. Hopefully, it won't give me the fight the grape caulerpa did.

I read the bubble algae link that you provided and I don't think that is what I've got. I've plucked out green bubble algae recently and I'm familiar with what that looks like. The link says that bubble algae can have varying shaped vesicles - clubs, spheres, etc. This doesn't have any sack like structures. It is basically flat and paper thin... like tissue paper or flower petals. Here is another picture, after the crab cleaned off the rock. Looking to the left of the black sponge, you can see them protruding horizontally. Below the q-tip sponge, they look like they are arranged like loosely stacked paper plates.

img_1186852_0_7c3bdeb478213eaa0a28fba162e25c8d.jpg

Thanks for your help. This site is extremely helpful for those of us new to the hobby.

no problem.
yeah, now i see what you are talking about. that first pic appeared as if the red "petals" were bulbous to me.

hmm...well, Rhodophyta is what it is...but the exact species, i do not know. (don't pat me on the back yet...translated, rhodophyta just means "red plant" LOL)there's only a few thousand of them to dig through.

My camera doesn't focus well for these close up shots. The first pic is grainy. I'm glad I was eventually able to capture what I was trying to explain. I was hoping it was some mutant mushroom coral but deep down inside, I sensed macroalgae, heh.

The last picture you posted is dictyota (the green algae with "fingers"). I know becase I had it. It can be an huge scourge. Get it out while it is small. Larger emerald crabs will eat it as well as naso tangs.

It can come in red, green, and irridescent. I had the irridescent kind and it would grow and an extremely alarming rate. Dictyota doesn't need the high nitrates and phosphates of other macro algaes. You can have very clean water and it can still grow. There is some good stuff on it here from wetwebmedia: BrnAlgComp

Thanks Jaybird. It has been pulled out and I think I got all the fragments that broke off. Looks like when I bought the macroalgae for my refugium, the bag also included some hitchiker species. I've been finding all sorts of funky stuff in my display tank lately. I've been doing a lot of weeding, trying to get the macroalgae under control. Meh.

Back
Top Bottom