More nudibranch pics 7/30 - ID please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Found this in my sump this morning - when it stretched out it was over 3" long. At first I thought it was a new algae patch.

I can't believe something so big has gone unnoticed.

Its gone now, crawled away when I left for a bit. I'm still looking for it, but I got some pics.

Update - found him. He's about a 1/2" out of the water, more "balled up" than before.

He kind of looks like one of these, the Aplysia fasciata :

http://www.medslugs.de/E/Med/Aplysia_fasciata_01.htm

I read that some nudi's can release toxins when stressed or bothered, which can kill the whole tank.

Should I eliminate this thing?

id4.jpg

id5.jpg

id6.jpg

Quite possibly a sea hare of some sort.. great algae eaters but they can release a toxin if they die or are harassed that can crash your entire tank like you said.

I'd get rid of him (carefully), but i'd wait for a few more opinions first.

Looks like a seahare. Maybe one of the aplysia's. I don't know enough about them to give you any real info but you could try over at the sea slug forums. www.seaslugforum.net I wouldn't eliminate it.
HTH

I'm finishing a new sump/fuge today - everything will have to be moved, so maybe this guy will just... not get moved?

It looks like the seahare that I put in one of my tanks.It is a green hair algae eating machine.I to do not know much about them other than they are good at eating algae.

It's gone.

I emptied my old sump/fuge as I was installing the new one - took everything out piece by piece, and he wasn't there. Unless he crawled inside of the of LR rubble pieces, or was inside the chaeto.

I'm watching for him.

Wierd.

Found him. Somehow he must have been hiding on my skimmer's pump, although I had it out of the water, washed it, scrubbed debris off it, etc, before moving it to the new sump.

Incredible.

I about fell over when I looked in and saw it last night. He's active, getting all over the skimmer chamber area in my sump.

Thats the best looking sea hare I have ever seen. Congrats, You can go to the LFS and get some nori and a clip they should have some for cheap, that will help you feed it. Good luck!

Actually I haven't seen it in awhile - it moved into the fuge of my sump, and I hope he's still in there somewher.e There's so much caulerpa in there, its hard to see anything.

Wow... glad this thread got brought back up. Last night, I just noticed something that looked an awful lot like this guy... except a lot smaller (maybe 1/4" long) and with a red rear end. I poked at it thinking it was a weird piece of algae or something, and it kind of curled up and moved away. Freaked me out. Amazing the things you find in your tank after 6 months.

Definately looks like a Sea Hare. I just bought one to help clean up the algae. I watched him eat a mass of green hair algae in seconds that was the size of a cotton ball.

Well, if he's in there still, he'd love the fuge - its been having a bout with green hair algae, although its clearing up now (I've been doing pwc's weekly).

Back
Top Bottom