Mushroom poop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MLHoenig

Aquarium Advice Activist
What was I watching?

I noticed this cluster of purple spheres being extruded from the mouth of one of my 'shrooms last week; it eventually detached and floated away...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 155
They look like mesenterial filaments which is a defense mechanism of the animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They weren't filaments...they looked like a bunch of grapes...easily over a dozen or two, and as I watched, a few others emerged, then they floated away together like a group of balloons.

Just did a little more research...

It seems my 'shroom may have been undergoing sexual reproduction - releasing eggs & sperm into the water column, according to one site.

More research required to determine if the eggs would be a light purple color like what I witnessed...

Baby mushrooms wouldn't that be nice , I have some in my tank but most of them seem to release and move to the backside of the rocks , some stay but not many I would love to see the rocks covered with them , I don't know what it is with the backside of the rocks that attracts them , even my nems are back there . I love mushrooms but I won't buy more since I can't enjoy them on the back of the rocks ,

Be careful what you wish for with that particular mushroom.When I had my 46 gallon bow front I started with one and it went crazy reproducing and they get huge and can take over your tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I already have too many of these; been thinking (a lot!) about packing up a few, along with several of my ten baby xmas trees, and getting some store credit at my LFS.

Back
Top Bottom