My Rock Turned Orange!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flake

Aquarium Advice Addict
So after spending the morning sitting by the tank, I hopped off to go watch a movie or two. Came back to google something and BAM. Everything is orange. Rocks, sand, everything.

I assume it's diatoms but I would like to be sure considering they popped up so fast.

How do I get rid of them? Will they burn themselves out and die off? Does this mean my tank is nearly cycled? Ammonia looked almost gone this morning and nitrates/nitrites were both much lower.

img_1006560_0_75e17f4bbd23f48f6cdc332ee4a517e6.jpg

img_1006560_1_4bc20c142230596f69a6864a43f85a18.jpg

Yep, diatoms, they will burn themselves out. It happens to pretty much all new tanks. I wouldn't sweat it.

What Kelvin rating is your lighting? possibly your light has a high orange value and sets off the brown diatoms making them look that way.

Have you looked at the diatoms with the light off + a flashlight?

I honestly have no idea what kelvin rating the light is. It doesn't say. I don't think it's the light making it orange though, I turned the light off when I noticed it to try to stunt it's growth. When I went to show my boyfriend later, I turned the light back on and now it looks rusty and less expansive.

Back
Top Bottom