Mystery Green Ball

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karlseith

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently noticed 2 dark green translucent balls about 1/4 inch large resting on a piece of my live rock. This is a 3 week old 30g tank with 2 Haitian Anemone's, a Marron Clown, Sabea Clown, Blue Fiji Damsel, Blue fin damsel, and an Algae Blenny. I have seen these green balls in pic's of tanks on the Internet before and now that I have some I am fairly curious about them. Any ideas what they are??

Thanks,
Karl

Bubble algae? I saw a tank at the LFS that had lots of this stuff . Glass looking balls of different sizes all over the place and thats what the guy told me .. Bubble alge.

certainly sounds like bubble algae. One of many nusance algaes. Emerald crabs have been known to gobble them up readily.

My LFS reef tank has them too! The guy told me if I get them, NEVER to pop them, or you will have a massive bloom of them everywhere!

They do look kind of cool though huh :roll:

I have them also. They are attractive but once they start to multiplt they tend to get to a stage were they take off. They are very controlable. Pull them off with your finger trying not to break them and throw them out. If you so break them, don't panic. With continuous pruning you can get a handle on the situation. I dont know thath you will ever be rid of it but it is manageable. As for the emerald crab, be careful. They are not the best tankmates for everyone. I have heard that they are fond of polyps. They also tend to grow to a good size.

Hope this helps. I am just passing on Info that I have learned here.

Howard

Ever since I bought peppermint shrimp, my bubbles have been disappearing. I am not 100% sure that the peppermint shrimp are eating them, it could be the hermit crabs. Every once in a while one will pop up, and in a few days it is gone.

Back
Top Bottom