Mystery Guest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superswamper

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have this thing living in our substrate below an overhang of one of our pieces of live rock. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what it might be? TIA.

I would not sentence it just yet. It does resemble aiptasia but I actually think it might be an Edwardsia anemone. Very similar in nature to the curlycue (Bartholomea annualata)

Cheers
Steve

Can aiptasia physically move or does it spread via reproduction? It may be a stupid question, but I don't know that much about anemones.

This creature previously lived in the live rock, was missing for a few weeks, and then was found in his current locatoin in the substrate.

Can aiptasia physically move or does it spread via reproduction? It may be a stupid question, but I don't know that much about anemones.

This creature previously lived in the live rock, was missing for a few weeks, and then was found in his current locatoin in the substrate.

All anemones are mobile. Aiptasia reproduce primarily via tissue separation. Basically any part of them that breaks free of the parent will eventually become a new anemone. Quite amazing when you really consider it. Most all other anemones will either divide, bud or reproduce sexually.

Cheers
Steve

I think I got one too !
but in about 2 weeks he hasn't done anytihng but hung out !
api.jpg

snapcrackler said:
Now THAT is an aiptasia. :D

If it's not I have been nuking innocents lately. LOL

I think you have nuking innocents ! I was told no aiptasia on Keys rock. Aiptasia are not found on keys rock from liverocks.com...

XXFirefighter said:
snapcrackler said:
Now THAT is an aiptasia. :D

If it's not I have been nuking innocents lately. LOL

I think you have nuking innocents ! I was told no aiptasia on Keys rock. Aiptasia are not found on keys rock from liverocks.com...

On the list of possible hitchikers from LiveRocks.com

LiveRocks.com said:
24. Pale Anemone
Aiptasia tagetes
Reef Creatures Pg. 93

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom