Name that Algae - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbates

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thanks to all that responded to Part I of this post a few weeks back...

After the hair algae had calmed down to a reasonable level and diatoms had started to go down, I did a little landscaping to rearrange LR. As a part of that, I naturally had to disturb the DSB. After a couple of days, this stuff showed up and is now in force.

It's only growing in the sand so I'm thinking it's diatom. But I can't find any pics that show diatom with long stringy filaments. Then I think it's cyano, but it doesn't have bubbles or the usual colors that I'm used to seeing.

Any thoughts? Any good control methods?

Latest tests from API/Salifert test kits are
NH3=0
NO2=0
NO3= < 5 ppm
PO4=0
PH = 8.2
Temp = 76

Bioload:
2 false percs
1 fighting conch
3-4 turbo snails (can't find one at the moment)
multiple nassarius snails (lost count)

PWC using RO/DI water, feeding 2-3 times per week (brine shrimp), light period 8 hrs per day.

Attachments

• aquarium 010.jpg
    aquarium 010.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 55
  • aquarium 011.jpg
    aquarium 011.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 52
must have stirred up something when I did the redecoration...sigh...

thanks for the feedback. Now to figure out where the excess nutrients are coming from that are fueling these guys. I'll plan on a bigger-than-usual PWC this weekend and for the next couple of days.

I guess that would also explain why none of the inverts is interested in the stuff...either the conch is full or just being picky!

Last edited:
12 gallon nano...it's been up for a couple of months. Things have been fairly stable other than an outbreak of hair algae a few weeks ago that seemed to be under control with the addition of the inverts and cutting down the feedings and light.

I had thought that the problem might be diatoms since I stirred up the DSB - the gunk is only growing on that (at the moment) - and figured I'd uncovered silica that didn't get depleted in the initial phases of the tank's life. But now I'm guessing that there must have been a bit of build-up of something in the DSB that was uncovered when I re-landscaped which is now feeding the cyano.

Just when you think everything's good...

Actually... with two percs in a 12g tank that's only a couple months old, I think you were on the path to eventually seeing the cyano. Stirring up the sand bed probably didn't help, but that's a lot of fish for a 12g, in my opinion.

{Edit: Just looked over some previous posts, and see I've already commented about the bioload. Oops... didn't mean to harass you more! I'll zip my lips!}

No problem with the 'harassment' - I think you may be right. Unfortunately they're 'refugees' from a previous 55gal that had to be taken down for a number of reasons and I haven't been able to find a good home for them locally. I was hoping that the 12 would be enough space for them given that their only about 4 inches worth of fish (at the moment) - or at least hold them until I could get a new set of owners...

i am with kurt. it is no doubt at all cyano. ceriths eat it. the planaxis eats it as well under the rocks which is good.

Back
Top Bottom