Name this fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a fish from a buddy who thought that he had an Algae (or Lawnmower) Blenny, but I think that it is something else.

The fish is 2" long, it is mottled white-grey -brown, it walks around on the rocks & substraight using its pectoral fins and does look like a Lawnmower Blenny. However, this fish does NOT have a wide, flat mouth but instead has a distinctly pointed mouth. The Lawnmower Blenny has noticable grey eyelash like protrusions sticking up behind its eyes. This fish does not.

What have I got?

Scooter Blenny
(Synchiropus ocellatus)
Quick Stats
Minimum Tank Size: 30 gallons
Care Level: Difficult
Tank Conditions: 72-78°F; sg 1.020-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12
Max. Size In Aquarium: Up to 5"
Color Form: Brown, Red, White
Temperament: Peaceful
Reef Compatible: Yes
Diet: Carnivore
Compatibility: View Chart
Origin: Indo-Pacific
Family: Callionymidae

The Scooter Blenny is also known as Scooter Dragonet or Ocellated Dragonet. It has a mottled brown and white body with red highlights. The male usually has brighter colors and a larger first dorsal fin.
A 30 gallon or larger reef aquarium that has live sand substrate, docile inhabitants, and lots of live rock makes the ideal aquarium for the Scooter Blenny. More than one of its species may be kept; if so, it is best to introduce them all to the tank at the same time. The ratio should be 2 or 3 females per male. A 55 gallon or larger aquarium is required if more than one male is to be kept.

The Scooter Blenny may be a difficult fish to keep due to its feeding habits. The Scooter Blenny will sift through the sand for food. Finely cut meaty foods and vitamin-enriched brine shrimp may be acceptable substitutes.

copied from http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=96

Faaaasst ---->>>>

Thanks for you quick reply.

I think the Scooter Blenny will do just fine in my SW tank. I have a 46gal with 100+ lbs of lr and 1" of ls. All my tank inhabitants are "peaceful" and reef safe.

Care Level: Difficult

It does not say this for nothing. Find out why so you`ll know how to react.

I think it just says difficult because they only eat live foods like pods, brine shrimp, etc. just like mandarins (same family).

Back
Top Bottom