Need an snail ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BDAWG

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here's one of my snail hitch hikers...

Attachments

• 000_0629.jpg
    000_0629.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 000_0635.jpg
    000_0635.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 83
Well, I think it's a predatory snail like the tulip or welk. I'd keep an eye on it.

So far it's just stayed on the glass eating algae. Do predatory snails eat algae also? What would he eat, as far as my livestock.

And the shell actually looks more like a Conch shell, it has the little spikes coming up from it, if you know what I mean.

Ok, I can't see the spikes. It may be a conch. I had a fighting conch that was strickly a sand dweller. I didn't know conches cleaned glass. If it is predatory, it will eat algae. I would only be concerned if you have corals or sponges or other soft inverts.

I didn't know conches cleaned glass.

I have two of them right now, and I haven't seen them leave the glass. I'll keep my eye on them and keep you updated if I notice anything different.

Thanks for the help!

Hey Fluff, I was searching for about a half hour on the net and the only snail that I could find with a red foot and a shell like that is a Florida Horse Conch. 8O

What do you think?

Attachments

• ss0055_1m.jpg
    ss0055_1m.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 146
I'm not sure. You have a much better view of the snail than I do. Did you notice if it had eye stalks? This could confirm that it is a conch. Here is a pic of the conch I had.

I didn't notice eye stalks, but I didn't really look for them either. I'm just really curious about what kind of snail it is because of it's red foot. It's seems like it should be an easy species to identify. Maybe I can take one of them to my LFS and get it ID'd.

I really appreciate the help anyway. You're a model member of the forum. :wink:

Thank you, although, I really haven't done anything but open up more questions. LOL
Snails are very hard to ID but, don't give up on us yet. I'm trying to find a link where I've seen this snail before. Maybe some others will jump in and give more suggestions or a positive ID. :wink:

Though I have no idea what type of snail you have there, I have had 2 of them in my tank for 6 or 8 months (i dont remember when i got my LR) and so far I have no had any problem with them what so ever. They go on the glass and LR but haven't seen them do anything to my zoos, shrooms or leathers in the tank. I don't want to tell you to keep it and then it turns bad on you, but so far so good for me.

I was searching for the ID of another snail when I found this guy. Could it be yours.....

Family Fasciolariidae
Pleuroploca australasia - Red Foot Snail
Habitat: Sheltered and moderately exposed reef, sand; 0 - 100 m depth
Distribution: WA to NSW and around Tasmania
Maximum Size: Height to 150 mm
Diet: Marine Invertebrates
Comments:
Large brown shell, bright red foot. Active predator.

Attachments

• pleuroploca.jpg
    pleuroploca.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 95
Fluff said:
Thank you, although, I really haven't done anything but open up more questions.

True, but you also go out of your way to help people. :wink: Thanks again.

ClamKnuckle said:
Though I have no idea what type of snail you have there, I have had 2 of them in my tank for 6 or 8 months (i dont remember when i got my LR) and so far I have no had any problem with them what so ever. They go on the glass and LR but haven't seen them do anything to my zoos, shrooms or leathers in the tank. I don't want to tell you to keep it and then it turns bad on you, but so far so good for me.

That makes me feel a little better. Out of curiousity, did you get him as a hitch hiker from Liverocks.com?

johnd4g said:
I was searching for the ID of another snail when I found this guy. Could it be yours.....

Family Fasciolariidae
Pleuroploca australasia - Red Foot Snail
Habitat: Sheltered and moderately exposed reef, sand; 0 - 100 m depth
Distribution: WA to NSW and around Tasmania
Maximum Size: Height to 150 mm
Diet: Marine Invertebrates
Comments:
Large brown shell, bright red foot. Active predator.

I'm hoping that's not him. I think mine came from the Florida Keys, and that says the Pleuroploca australasia is from somewhere around Tasmania.

*Keeping fingers crossed*

Back
Top Bottom