Need confirmation please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MSU Fan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I believe that this guy is a Wheeler's Watchman Goby, but can anyone confirm that? TIA

His nose has a yellow tinge to it, if that helps.

Plinko
img_794187_0_7e1cae51cc10d704e6cb36ae18a607bc.jpg

hmm, I am not the best at this, but the finnage doesnt look right to me to be a wheelers...how about a Trimma Goby.

Trimma Goby

Thanks Hara - it does in a lot of way resemble that goby, but it is over 2" long now, and everything I can find states that the trimma only get 1" in length. Not sure yet...

Have to try for a better pic tomorrow...he is not a wheeler's as originally suspected.

I agree with Hara that it most resembles a Trimma Goby, in particular the Trimma cana. Although if the fish is already 2" then it could be something else :?

From the photo with it next to the sponge filter it doesn't appear larger than 1" to me.

tecwzrd said:
From the photo with it next to the sponge filter it doesn't appear larger than 1" to me.

I know, I know - I'm a terrible photographer, and he is a very camera shy fishy!

I also posted this on ReefCentral, and they led me to the answer - he's a Sandhopper Blenny (Parapercis sp.) (Info on LiveAquaria), or otherwise known as a red-stripe sand perch.

He is an active little guy, I'll tell you what - and has no problems eating! We are going to have him in QT for a while, and he loves the little PVC house in there!

I have a question - how is that you QT certain fish that have very special diets (eg, mandarin dragonet)? I'm all about doing what's right for the fish, but doesn't that pose a threat to the health of the fish? Just curious...:)

Thank you everyone for the help!

Figures it wasn't even in the Goby family :roll: The mouth area should have been the biggest give away. Glad you got it ID so you will know how to care for it and what the adult size is.

Live brine is usually attractive to all fish (including mandarins) for the short duration of a QT if they won't accept the usually prepared frozen foods. Also if you have a separate breeding tank for pods then that would work as well assuming you don't have to use medicine.

Back
Top Bottom