need help id-ing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sergie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
There are two things I need help identifying. First one is something that was only on my trumpet, it was one small one. But I had it touching a candy cane skeleton and within two days it had split and attached one on the skeleton. It has thick tentacles...looks like a little green anemone and it grows quickly.

Secondly, some sort of polyp I think, on the other side of my trumpet coral. Darker green in color.

The 1 on the left look like aiptasia. It's a nusiance and can multiple rapidly and sting other corals. The 1's on the right look like palythoas, button polyps. They are keepers.

i think the one on the left is a majano anemone...very similar to aptasia in behavior. of all the things i see, i would be most worried about the kenya tree. it spreads as fast and is as much a nuisance as aptasia, and is equally unattractive.

I know most people call aptasias a nuisance, but will a majano sting other inhabitants? Did you bring up the Kenya cause you saw one in my tank? Cause if I did I didn't know it. Or just as a warning?

yes, that brown branchy thing on the rock by itself is a kenya tree coral.
and yes, majano anemones behave the same as aptasia. the only differences i've noted is appearance, and that the majanos tend to travel a bit more.

Oh man, I was under the impression that it was a colt coral....or same thing different name?

no, 2 different corals. i'm pretty sure it's not a colt. they are similar in appearance though. if that thing starts dropping branches rapidly, you know it's a kenya tree. a colt will not drop branches.

Well I've had it for two months and it's only doubled in size. I haven't noticed anything dropping. It has little ones growing beside it but they haven't grown fast and have been there since I bought it. I'll keep an eye on it.

But if it were a colt, I just read they could be poisonous to stonys. Should I be worried with the trumpet and torch?

no. i wouldn't worry about it. if you plan on keeping a lot of corals with chemical defense, like leathers, i would probably run carbon, but a single coral in a roomy tank shouldn't be an issue.

Sounds good. As far as the majano, should I tweeze them out? Ones getting fairly large. They look neat but if it's going to be a problem I'd rather erradicate them now.

no. you can't kill them that way. like aptasia, they will multiply if you don't nuke them somehow. my favorite method for killing them off is mixing kalkwasser into a thick paste, and squirting a giant glob of the paste right on their mouths with a syringe (less the sharp tip).

Back
Top Bottom