need help identified brown spots & green grass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeyt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Would like to know what these are, if they are harmful & what I need to do to remove them.

Same again for this one please (this stuff now covers roughly 50% of my rock)

Regards
Mike

Is that a Duncan coral?
Looks like brown slime desease.
Killed a real nice piece of Duncan on me 2 years ago.
I dipped in coral and even cut off dead heads but still lost the fight over a month and half.

Anything eat that Cladophora? There are other brown spots on tank glass too - no idea if that is good

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you can wave your hand over that coral and that brown stuff floats away, it's brown jelly disease. It's not the same thing that's on the glass though.

Don't know if your able to, but, the easiest way to get rid of that stuff is to dip the enitre rock in hydrogen peroxide, or just bleaching it would do the trick also, but would kill everything on it.

Think this is a better picture of the brown spots, they are like lots of individual spots that seem to move about. I definitely have seen them on the glass too

Attachments

• 1432715121874.jpg
    1432715121874.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 92
Then they could be red planaria. These are a common flatworm that can be vacuumed off during water changes.

Are they harmful or just ugly?

Dip the coral using hydrogren peroxide. That'll wipe em out, if those are planaria.

You could just suck them off with a hose while doing a water change, instead of putting the coral through any extra stress. These are not a big deal.

Thanks guys! Any tips on removing the algae?

manual removal would be the way I would choose. Also, keep the nutrient levels down by going easy on feedings and upping water changes.

Manual removal seems nigh on impossible without trashing my currect rockscape!

You mean taking your 2 fingers and plucking off the algae from time to time will make your rocks topple over?

I've done bits, some of that algae is on strong! I've made some of my own rocks so that may be part of the problem

Algae overgrowth is a nutrient issue. Cut back on feeding and up your nutrient export and the growth should slow/stop over time.

Back
Top Bottom