need help identifying clown/anemone combo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquadummy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
img_1059185_0_58c0f6c16f7c87cf8e74315a1a39e85b.jpg

img_1059185_1_492f9df4291bbc7d74aa939be30ec55e.jpg

img_1059185_2_2fa0adb778988a01a2986ddc4a8bbb55.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The clown looks like a "Clarkii", the anemone looks like a ccndii. Hard to tell in your lighting.

Mike on second look I believe you are correct on the long tentacle anemone.

I agree the clown is probably a clarkii or a sebae since they are hard to tell apart. What color is the foot of the anemone? Hard to tell with those pics, it might be a long tentacle but could also be a riterri or even a bubble tip (with deflated tips).

anemone question

I just bought an anemone at the LFS with a clown and was told it was easy to care for. The lady told me to get a bottle of DT's live marine phytoplankton and pour in 1 cap full twice a week to feed it. When I got home I read the bottle and it doesn't say anything about anemones. Then I read some online about anemones and all everything says they need some sort of meat. Also they are difficult to care for. I'm not sure what type of anemone it is.
img_1059499_0_58c0f6c16f7c87cf8e74315a1a39e85b.jpg
[/IMG]
img_1059499_1_492f9df4291bbc7d74aa939be30ec55e.jpg
[/IMG] i think it may be a Long Tentacle Anemone
(Macrodactyla doreensis) or possibly a Sebae Anemone
(Heteractis crispa) or even a Ritteri Anemone
(Heteractis magnifica) what do you think i should do??

You're getting some responses about the ID of the anemone in your other thread in the ID section.

Regarding care, you're right... anemones need meaty foods. Phyto isn't going to do much, except pollute your tank. I wouldn't say anemones are difficult, but I also would only recommend them to someone that has had a tank for a while and knows what they're doing. Adequate lighting (more than normal for just a fish-only tank) is also required. I'd say you got some really bad advice from your LFS.

What should you do? I think you should either learn up quick about anemone care, or take it back to the LFS for a full refund. Clownfish don't *need* anemones to survive in our tanks.

Clownfish don't *need* anemones to survive in our tanks.

Thats is definately true because I have a black false perc that doesn't wanna touch my anenome but I've heard that if a clown has 'bonded' to an anenome that it can be severly stressing for the clown to lose it, that the clown may even die. I recommend that if your taking the anenome back take the clown as well. It would be like he's losing his best friend.

Back
Top Bottom