Need help identifying whats on my new live rock.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennlee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can someone tell me what this thing is with tentacles? I'm new to salt water and just trying identify everything that hitchhiked

Attachments

• image-2131837423.jpg
    image-2131837423.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 178
I could definitely be wrong but I think it's apstasia?? Hopefully someone else chimes in! If it is, I've heard two good ways to get rid of them. Either boiling hot water injected into their mouths or apstasia-x.

Thanx that's what I was thinking. But was hoping not. I've been searching and coming up with many different types.

Can someone tell me what this thing is with tentacles? I'm new to salt water and just trying identify everything that hitchhiked

It is definitely aptasia. You need to very cautious in how you go about taking care of the problem. If you can remove from the tank whatever it is attached to that will be your best bet. Aptasia leaves behind petals and when you think you have killed one they can come back 3 fold or worse. One way to avoid this problem in the future is to really watch your nitrate levels and to acquire a natural predator. Some peppermint shrimp eat them but most likely a file fish will do the job and are hardy fish.

My peppermint shrimps took care of the one ( probably more unseen) we had no problems can't recommend them enough.

Thanx 'two rivers' I've been researching all day and was going to go with the Berghia nudibranch until I called both saltwater stores I deal with and they recommended peppermint shrimp as well and at half the price for a peppermint shrimp compared to a nudibranch I can get 2. My only concern was they would eat the rest of my anemones or good stuff if you will. There's some threads that say they will but most people say they haven't in their tank

I have never heard of them eating corals. Liveaquaria has them listed as "reef safe". I had mine before I got corals and he disappeared before I got corals as well.

Peppermint shrimp are reef safe. They are not known for eating other inverts but of course each one is an individual. Still, I've never heard of it happening.
Now, biological controls have ups and downs. While many people swear by these shrimp, not every peppermint shrimp will eat aitpasia. Period. Some that have eaten them in the past will stop, and vice versa. The berghia nudibranch is an obligate aitpasia eater. As in it can not eat anything else. They will eat every last bit of aitpasia and leave nothing, not even a single cell behind. But then they starve so its best to pass them on to another hobbyist.
Boiling water, lemon juice, kalkwasser, aiptasia x, etc are all tried and true means of removing a few at a time and if you only see one or two that is the way to go. If you can remove the rock, you can burn the anemone off with a lighter.
If you go the shrimp route, odds are good that they will control the aiptasia to the point that you'll never see another one. But there is no guarantee of that. Also, some of them are sloppy and won't eat every last bit of the foot. There are tales of introducing shrimp to eat one or two and when the shrimp eventually die or are removed, aiptasia pops up all over.
Not saying this'll happen to you, it's just important to recognize that biological controls are not foolproof. My cat is a terrible hunter and I wouldn't use her to attack mice in my house.
Whichever route you go, good luck!

Peppermint shrimp are reef safe. They are not known for eating other inverts but of course each one is an individual. Still, I've never heard of it happening.
Now, biological controls have ups and downs. While many people swear by these shrimp, not every peppermint shrimp will eat aitpasia. Period. Some that have eaten them in the past will stop, and vice versa. The berghia nudibranch is an obligate aitpasia eater. As in it can not eat anything else. They will eat every last bit of aitpasia and leave nothing, not even a single cell behind. But then they starve so its best to pass them on to another hobbyist.
Boiling water, lemon juice, kalkwasser, aiptasia x, etc are all tried and true means of removing a few at a time and if you only see one or two that is the way to go. If you can remove the rock, you can burn the anemone off with a lighter.
If you go the shrimp route, odds are good that they will control the aiptasia to the point that you'll never see another one. But there is no guarantee of that. Also, some of them are sloppy and won't eat every last bit of the foot. There are tales of introducing shrimp to eat one or two and when the shrimp eventually die or are removed, aiptasia pops up all over.
Not saying this'll happen to you, it's just important to recognize that biological controls are not foolproof. My cat is a terrible hunter and I wouldn't use her to attack mice in my house.
Whichever route you go, good luck!

yes mac about said it all
there is a slight chance maybe 1 in 1000 that one will go after other stuff to eat but yes reef safe

I have around 8 in my mixed reef and they are fairly large about 1 1/2 inch
after they get big like this they are not as effective so young ones are your best bet

Thanx I will try peppermint shrimp if it don't work ill have to go the other rout, Berghia Nudibranch

This one rock particular is really nice and has a few clams inside of it so I don't wanna boil the whole rock but the aptasia is everywhere on it so I was hoping to find something that could get in those tight spots that I can't get with a syringe

has a few clams inside of it so I don't wanna boil the whole rock

mmm New England clam chowder (kidding):D

no boil lemon juice put it in a syringe aim it at the pest anemone and it will die just give it a good blast everything else will be fine

I believe the op said a few on this rock would be difficult to reach with a syringe so biological is probably the way to go. I would recommend making the peppermints a permanent feature of the tank to make sure there isn't a recurrence later.

We bought them now just waiting but wow this last bit of rock sure is proving to make us experts lol. We have a crab way up in the rock in a hole we catch a glimps of his claw now and then but he ate a clam already and we were baiting him with some cooked shrimp he grabbed it right out of the tweezers and ran back up. I couldn't tell u what he is just a crab lol

Try snapping a picture or even a video next time to bait him. I love crabs but don't trust them around my corals. Lol

I'm lucky I'm just starting out and don't have any fish or corals yet

This is one of the little crabs that hitchhiked

Attachments

• image-2381642126.jpg
    image-2381642126.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 65
Back
Top Bottom