Need ID of a coral and snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fireman26m

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need a couple of ID's if possible. Both pics are in my gallery pending approval.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=5452

First is the pinkish-purple coral. It came on a piece of LR from another reef tank. It originally was one piece but then split into 2 separate pieces. After lights out, there are small "tubes" that pop out from the round top of each piece.

Second is a hitchhiker snail. It is approx. 3/8", fairly flat with just a small point on it's top side. It has grown fairly quickly. It is found both on the glass and the LR. Moves very slowly. I couldn't get the camera to focus on the snail itself but instead the feather duster behind it. Great pic of the feather duster though....lol.

Any ideas?

Did not look at the pictures but your snail description is perfect to describe a limpet. I have two that came on my LR. They both eat algae pretty well in my tank. They say that they will chomp coralline as well but I have not noticed it.

I don't believe it is a limpet. It has 10 spikes that radiate around it's circumference. It an odd snail.

I don't know what type of snail that is. Could still be a limpet even with the spikes. You coral looks and sounds like a pink sponge.

That looks like one REALLY kewl sponge... looking into the snail..... will let you know if I find something......

I'm thinking the snail is a type of astrea.... some of them have larger "spikes" than others....

Hmmm...none of my astrea snails have any spikes at all. I think you're looking at the wrong snail. There is an astrea on the glass on the left. The snail I'm curious about is directly in front of the feather duster on the glass.

Oh....another ID question....to the left of the pink coral, on the LR, there is a pink, branching growth. It's in multiple places in the tank and comes and goes. Biggest one was almost an inch when it disappeared.

I believe that is some type of algae. I had some in my tank and when I had my tank, he used to nibble at it all the time. I'd like to change my guess on your snail. I no longer feel it is a limpet. The foot isn't right. I have no idea what it might be. Maybe you could try posting it at wetwebmedia.com. See if they can help.

I'm looking at the same snail... I've got a book by Julian Sprung, all of it inverts... there are three pictures of different types of Astrea and one has large spikes like the one on your glass...

I had a limpet and it never went to the glass. Never hurt anything until I added my first SPS. Went right for it. It was removed.

Back
Top Bottom