Need ID on live rock coloration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biotoxin

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys,

Ive had some live rock from indonesia for about 3 weeks now. It has turned white but now on one piece it looks like something growing but its blood red. Also theres purple around the edges of the rock where it looks like bumps all over the rock. Any idea what this stuff is thats red and purple?

Is the red and purple hard or soft?

If it is hard and does not come off, it is probably coralline algae.

If it is soft and goey it is probably red slime. In this case I would siphon as much of as possible.

I think it is great to have coralline growth. Not only does it mean your water parameters are looking good, but your lighting is working well also.

well its hard on the rocks not slimey so i would guess its coraline. didnt even show up until i started adding b-ionic.

That seems to be cor. algae to me, the white is the skeleton that the cor. algae will form then eventually spread across which will then become purple more intense light (metal halides)will produce a more mauve looking coloration.Keep an eye out for calcium and alk levels which are the vital building blocks for cor algae!! good luck..

Back
Top Bottom