Need ID Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LouieB

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have these feather duster type things all over my tank but they don't have feathers. When I blow off my rocks with the turkey baster they slime web like streamers all over, are they a problem? TIA....

Attachments

• 2dscn1039_725.jpg
    2dscn1039_725.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 44
Can anyone answer this? I have the same and am wondering what they are and whether or not they're harmful.

Harmless worms . I think they are some type of spagettie worm ( I cant think of thier name off hand right now )

No problem here are some worm pics worm pic

the name I was trying to remember terebellid which is AKA a spagetti worm :)
None the less harmless filter feeders what you are seeing is the "feeding " tenicals sticking out to grab food :)

Actually, if the tube puts out a sort of muscousy web of stuff, it's a species of vermetid snail/worm.

Spaghetti worms send out singular long, thin strands that pick food up and pull it back in, and they usually live in the substrate. Vermetid sp. snails live in small tubes like that and send out a mucus web, especially right after you blow your rocks off.

http://www.reefs.org/library/aquarium_net/0897/0897_8.html

Some good pictures there.

HTH

melosu58 said:
You might be able to see them on Here.

Thanks for link. Lot of good information. I think I may have Hydroids. I'll post a pick later. Bad part about it is they are growing rapidly on a nice piece of rock. If that's them I'll scrape them off. Don't mean to hijack the post LouieB.

LouieB said:
Thanks everyone.. Well it seems I have what Devilishturtles is talking about a vemetil snail/worm. I think they can become a problem if left unchecked. ...

I think they're only a problem if they foul your pumps or powerheads, and those can be cleaned off pretty easy. (And should be during normal maintenance.) Other than that, I don't know why they'd be an issue as they're just one more little creature that will snag stuff out of the water column and keep things tidy for you.

I like all mine. After cleaning off the rocks with a turkey baster, they have a field day with their cob webs! It's funny to see the size of some of the stuff they snag sometimes!

I have quite a few of them and like Kurt mentioned they would only be a problem if they started growing all in your filtration, which is possible but just keep them cleaned out every once in a while and you'll be fine. I think they are really cool.

Back
Top Bottom