Need Quick ID...In Acclimation bucket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

usmcmarc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just got a new addition...Coco tube Worm w/ some Pulsing Xenia on it...while acclimating I saw something moving in the bucket. It's gone now, so I cant get a pic (Think it's hiding in the tube)

Teeny, Tiny What I believe to be a serpent star.

Solid Green Center, with Green & White Banded Arms.

The arms are very skinny, and seem to have frills, or spines.

Is this safe for my tank...reef safe?

My first real cool hitchhiker!!!!

Sounds like a star however I would QT till he comes out or try to bribe him out with some food .....
Some serpent stars will eat fish when they sleep ...I beleve that to be either the full black or green serpant stars .... If it is not those it should be reef safe but with out pics it is hard to be 100% on the ID

Finally Got some pics

OK Here it is...any clue? (I know...I guess the photographer never heard of ZOOM)...Thats what I get for having someone else take the pic.

Attachments

• hitcher1_838.jpg
    hitcher1_838.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 52
  • hitcher2_146.jpg
    hitcher2_146.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 60
Those are known as micro stars. Very beneficial part of a clean up crew.

Doesn't it feel good to find free beneficial critters unexpectedly?

yeah..especially since I prob overpaid for the thing I got it with....

CoCo Tube Worm w/ a piece of pulsing xenia on it...$115

usmcmarc said:
yeah..especially since I prob overpaid for the thing I got it with....

CoCo Tube Worm w/ a piece of pulsing xenia on it...$115
Ouch that is as bad as our LFS stores prices I have been looking for an order budy to help order stuff for ours but no luck :lol: Our LFS charges 60 bucks for 4 zoas and thats the brown color anything with other colors guard your wallet :?

Coco worms cost IME. $70 and up alone with no other coral or xenia.

Try a couple of "normal" tube worms with the softer brown tube too. About $15 IME.

austinsdad said:
Coco worms cost IME. $70 and up alone with no other coral or xenia.

Try a couple of "normal" tube worms with the softer brown tube too. About $15 IME.
Here they run about $25 you are right tho coco worms are more expensive tho our store here never gets those in :(

USMCMARC- you really get a lot of hitchhikers. I always cruise this and other forums and I always see you with another rare find running around your tank. Where do you get your rock from? I want crazy things running around my tank!

I see those worms all the time diving. Too bad my license doesn't allow me to catch them and send them out to you, (I can keep them for myself though), tell them to get their prices lower. This is not a hard to find item! (Plus we get the cooler dark red and orange variety around here, one colony of about 20 almost every 15 feet on the reef I dive. And those are just the open ones I can see clearly)

Back
Top Bottom