Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-18-2004, 08:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Need Some IDs...

#1. Some sort of parasite? These white worm-things were all over the skeleton of my torch coral before it died (according to my parents it slowly closed up over a few weeks), and while a few of the big ones got onto the pearl bubble coral they have since seemed to have gone away, leaving only the tiny curled marks. They don't feel like worms to the touch-- they feel like part of the skeleton, and they never move.

#2. Strange little red things. I don't even know what to make of them. They came in on a piece of liverock and I have since found them on various other rocks around the tank. They don't move and are hard to the touch.

#3. A bristleworm? I've included some videos of its behavior-- I spotted it in a tube I had pulled partway out of the sand earlier while getting rid of some Caulerpa. I thought it was just part of the Caulerpa but I guess not, since this little thing is living in it.

I've heard good things and bad things about bristleworms. This worm reacted when I poured some Cyclop-Eeze near its tube..

And also will retract very quickly. It doesn't really seem to react to light, but rather things it touches, I think (which would make sense if it's supposed to be in the sand).

After pouring the Cyclop-Eeze I threw a sinking goldfish pellet () near its hideout just to see what it would do. It came out and grabbed it then sat there at the entrance of the tube chowing down.

So, what is it I have here..?

Oh yeah- sorry the videos suck and are blurry. I can't get the camera to focus on little things.

55g freshwater - tetras, catfish, loaches
10g freshwater - firebelly newts
Hypostomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 09:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'll venture a guess that #1 are feather dusters. You might have to look very closely to see the feather part sticking out of the white calc tube.

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 09:26 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
# 1, small calcerous tube worm, harmless, not parasitic.
# 2 Foraminaferin (spelling?) foram for short, again harmless.
# 3 Looks like a bristle worm to me, I consider them beneficial members of the clean up crew.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 09:32 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
The video's awesome!
It's not a bristle worm. It's a variety of tubeworm that makes a burrow with pieces of sand. It is a harmless detrivore that's cleaning the sand. Cool!
Anemoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 10:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
bristle worm i do not think are harmless. i found one snacking on my zoo. he then got pulled out of the tank and is sitting in the q tank till i find a new home for him. and i did catch him in th act 2 times. he was about 2" long whne i pulled him out.
A 46 gal bow front (Soft coral) reef tank with a 10 gal sump. And a 30 gal (SPS and Clam) reef tank hooked up to the sump of the 46 so they share water.
WarOrks15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com