Need to find out what these are?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SassyAngel111

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can someone name these corals????TIA

Attachments

• 100_0499_179.jpg
    100_0499_179.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_0500_997.jpg
    100_0500_997.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 31
First one looks like my hairy mushrooms.

Second and third are apitsia (or however you spell it) bad...very very bad

And not sure about the last 2. Look fuzzy to me.

Good luck

~~Ange

1 Looks like a porities (which would be the coral that hosts the christmas tree worms. A more detailed shot would help confirming it though.
2&3 Is aptasia
4 your right, is a cabbage leather
5 need a closer shot. Looks like it could be mushrooms or by the looks of the rock it is on, maybe a lps?? Can't say.

The pics do help. I'm sticking with my suggestion of porities for your first coral. The second I'm sure now is an lps but not clear enough to say which one. If I had to guess, I'd say it looks like a button coral (cynarina lacrymalis) or some time of brain as mentioned.

I looked up the button coral and I don't think that is it, the lfs when I bought it said that it will spread and form like valley's all over the top of the rock that it is attached to. Here is hopefully a better pic of the one coral.

As for the aptasia I had looked that up and found that there are several ways of getting rid of them and I feel the safest way is to add a peppermint shrimp, but need to know if a CB and a peppermint shrimp would get along in a 29gl tank? TIA for the info.

Attachments

• coral1_425.jpg
    coral1_425.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 23
  • coral2_159.jpg
    coral2_159.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 18
Hi, Pictures 2,3, & 4 I can definitely tell you it is Aiptasia. Generally this is thought of as a very pesky creature because it grows and spreads quickly sometimes out of control. It stings fish and other sps/corals that it comes in contact with. It is very difficult to get rid of once it's out of control, most people get a special solution you can buy that you have to inject into them I believe which is mostly made of lemon juice and some other stuff. Some believe that a gold banded butterfly fish is a natural controller of Aiptasia. (I think that's the right butterfly fish, if you google aiptasia you'll be able to get some great facts) I personally have gotten rocks out of the ocean and and had aiptasia in my tank before and thought it was pretty cool. It only spread to become about 3 of them total. I would feed it and like to watch the tentacles pull the food in. I would just keep an eye on how much it spreads, it looks like you have quite a bit already! Good luck with your decision.

Hi, I had one aiptasia at first & thought it was quite cool. However...after finishing my tank three months later I had apprx 12 of them. Huge ones too. I read various ways of getting rid of them. One of them was to stab them straight through the middle with a hot screwdriver & grind them out!!! :( I couldn't face doing that. Another was to introduce fish which eat them. But they only nibble at them & because they are then damaged they send off spors & reproduce somewhere else. So that sort of defiets the object.

So I went for the option where you squirt them directly into the centre with a liquid. Kills them almost instantly. The liquid is called Joes Juice.

Good luck :)

SassyAngel111 CB and a peppermint shrimp
I have never had a CB, but I have read they will take out most other shrimp.....
To get rid of the aiptasia, use boiling water in a turkey baster or Joe's juice, as stated above, I think I have read other's using lemon juic...the kind that comes in the little lemon looking container.....ummmm, lemmon!

+1 to the Peppermint shrimp idea. I had a few aptaisia start when I got my tank going, once the cycle was done, I threw in 2 Peppermint shrimp and no more aptaisia.

Some believe that a gold banded butterfly fish is a natural controller of Aiptasia. (I think that's the right butterfly fish, if you google aiptasia you'll be able to get some great facts)

Not a good idea. Just thought I'd mention. Fish is kinda hard to keep and sensitive. Also will not fit in your 29 gallon.

I've used Joes Juice and it rocks. I would avoid lemon juice if at all possible because it may damage other corals, livestock in the tank.

After the other pictures, I'm fairly certain that's a brain.

About the CB Shrimp, I would add with caution.

tweaver001 no I only have about three that came on the rock that is hosting the christmas tree worms. The one that is infront of the cabbage leather is just a rock with polyps.

I guess it means a new turkey baster and boiling water to get rid of these pest.

Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom