New 14 biocube I'd help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cole31818

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just bought a used 14 biocube, put in Carib sea live sand and punched LR from LFS. They believe the rock came from a previous tank. Tank set up for 3 days with saltwater from
LFS, The top 2 rocks have a fine hair like growth on it. Here are a few pics in different stock lighting. Any thougts?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413729214.037140.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413729231.073879.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413729247.750519.jpg

It is normal for rock in new tanks to develop different varieties of algae. This will go away as your tank cycles, and it ca take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. Try cutting back on lighting if you want to slow its growth.

Feeshna

Thanks. I covered the tank and kept it dark for a few days and it seems to be dying off. Should I scrub it off at any point?

Yes you can scrub it if you want but it should go away in its own eventually

Feeshna

Personally, I would not go through the effort of scrubbing it off. Most likely it will come back. feeshna is correct...
It is normal for rock in new tanks to develop different varieties of algae. This will go away as your tank cycles, and it ca take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. Try cutting back on lighting if you want to slow its growth.

Whether you are new or experienced in SW keeping, I encourage people to research everything. The “cycle” can confuse people so I recommend reading the best explanation of the cycle I’ve found by Eric Borneman. You can find it here - The Building of a Reef Tank

Dick

Back
Top Bottom