New animals in my tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artoledo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just noticed this today, but it seems that i have some little critters crawling in my tank. they look like maggots with legs. any idea on what these things are and how to get rid of them? they are white almost transparent. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

looks like amphipods. how did they get in my tank? maybe thru the rock? also, how do i get rid of them? and will they harm anything in my tank?

They came in on your rock. I would leave them, they are a sign of a healthy tank and will hide. I have one in my Phosban Reactor. You want them in the tank...good stuff.

Ok. What are so beneficial about them? And it looks like they are multiplying. Is this common?

Thanks!

Hey guys, i just got home and looked at these critters real good and they look like isopods. They are all over the place. And i noticed them on the rocks crawling everywhere. Also, i saw a small feather duster and some polyps. Cant tell what type of polyps but they kinda look like yellow polyps. I have a question, noticed reading the article, that isopods are mainly predatory. Will this affect my goby? This worries me because they are everywhere!

Isopods can attach to fish which can be bad, but, to the best of my knowledge they aren't usually found in large numbers like pods are. You can see in the link that melosu provided that pods vary a LOT in shape, size, etc.

Have a look at this page, written by Steven Pro.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/sp/feature/index.php

In the middle there are some picture of hydroids, which form a polyp that looks just like yellow polyps. There is also a picture of isopods on a clownfish.

HTH

Could i throw a yellow tang in there to take care of the pests? i was told that Yellow Tangs and Mandarin Gobys do a great job of this but once they are done with the pods, they often starv to death.

Is there any chance you can get a pic? Pods are great things to have in your tank. They help consume waste, add a great amount of biodiversity to your tank, and make a free meal for a few fish too. I honestly wouldn't try to get rid of them. I'm curious as to what you are seeing.

Did you check out the link I posted?

HTH

Why do you want to get rid of them? We have already told you they are beneficial (good for your tank). Eventually they will hide in/under your LR and you won't see much of them.

This is an isopod...

DSC04742-1.JPG

Just to get an idea of size, the sponge it's on is over a MaxiJet. If you have isopods, they'll crunch when you squish them - they have a hard shell. But from what you're describing... white, nearly transparent, crawling little maggots... those sure sound like copepods - which is what your mandarin is going to want to eat.

If they are isopods, I still wouldn't worry about them. I had some in my tank (that's where the picture is from) and tried to rid myself of them as I was super paranoid. It was a never ending battle. I eventually gave up and just sucked as many out during PWCs as I could. One day, I noticed there weren't many. Now, I don't see any at all.

if that is an isopod, then its definately not that. it must be a copepod. I feel like it makes my tank ugly. They are all over the back and side glasses and frankly, creep me out. but if they are as beneficial as you guys say they are then i will keep them. If i were to buy the mandarin goby will he starv to death if there arent anymore pods to eat? i heard that once they eat pods, it will be real hard to get them to eat anything else but that.

you are seeing them because your tank is new. In a few months, they will have built their little colonies in the rock and you will rarely see them. You will literally have to hunt for them at night in order to see them.

Hara said:
you are seeing them because your tank is new. In a few months, they will have built their little colonies in the rock and you will rarely see them. You will literally have to hunt for them at night in order to see them.

It is so odd to hear that they will build colonies because there are so many of them everywhere.

I agree, I rarely see them anymore, although, I do have one hanging out in my phosban reactor.

Back
Top Bottom