New Clownfish Pics (and ID)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Z

zacdl

Perc or Ocwhatever (I dont know what the other one is called, it stats with an "o")

PICT0684.sized.jpg

I put a couple big flakes in there today and it played with them a little before it ate them.

It looks like it might actually make it!

Nice addition. By the pic it looks like an ocellaris to me. Can post a close up pic (without camera flash)of the clown so it can be better ID'ed. A quick way to ID if it's an ocellaris or perc is by it's eyes. Percs usually have a clear orange ring and ocellaris will have muddy looking eyes.

I didnt use flash...

See maybe my lighting is better than what you guys say it is, lol.

I've seen some Tank Bred/Raised Trues that have that look to their stripe pattern (v. the distinguishing heavy black of the wild caught perc). I didn't realize there was something to their eyes that gave the species away. Very interesting.

Looks like an ocellaris to me as well.
how can you tell the difference between true and false percs then ??
False percs have thin black lines outlinning the white patches, true percs have thick black lines and I believe the white patches are symetrical from side to side.

Phyl said:
I've seen some Tank Bred/Raised Trues that have that look to their stripe pattern (v. the distinguishing heavy black of the wild caught perc). I didn't realize there was something to their eyes that gave the species away. Very interesting.

The eyes is the quickest way and very accurate.

Here is a pick of my ocellaris. The eyes are kind of muddy. Percs eyes are not muddy.
img_409845_0_bf2a84339370fb2f32d24d78a5357de6.jpg

Pick of percs, see how the ring around the eye is not muddy
img_409845_1_a3a14dadac6ee1b1c0799a3f94b6f342.jpg

if the pic of an ocellaris clown is taken with a camera flash, the flash will remove the muddyness out of the eye.

Looking at them closer I do belive they are percs.
I also saw they labeled them as percs when I got my 2nd one.

Back
Top Bottom