New corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EricL

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have purchased ther corals from my lfs and I dont know how to properly care for them or what to feed them. Can anyone help?

Attachments

• 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 51
Read, Read, REad, DO as much research as possible. What are some of your tank dimensions. What kind of skimmer, and lights do you have, What size is your tank? What knd of filtration do you have? Has the tank cycled? How long has it been established? Doesnt look like you have any corraline algae.

I am having problems growing my Coraline. I have posted my tank progression to another thread.

I am having problems growing my Coraline.

You`ll need to seed the coralline by putting a few pieces in there. I`ve heard of a few that scraped some off a rock in someone else`s LR and put the coralline in their tank. They said it seeded it in their tank and after a month or two had it growing in their tank. Theirs also some chemical concerns as to getting it to grow like calcium and alk but I`ll have to get the chemistry experts to explain that. Read this

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

Last edited:

Ohhhh... copper. I remember now. If you have strange, unknown issues with the corals or anemone staying alive, don't forget the fact that you dosed this tank previously with copper.

Agree with cccapt with the ID, except the first one looks more like stylophora... but can't really tell without a closeup. Either way - stylophora or pocillopora - they both require the same care.

Never add more then 1 coral. This gives you time to learn there needs plus feeding them means excess food that will cause other problems. All these corals look unhappy and the fact you cant get coralline to grow isnt a good sign. Coral need stable water readings .

Remember that your LFS needs your money to survive and most will sell you anything. Its up to you to research each buy.

If you dont have a water test kit then this would be a better purchase. Either way this might help.GL..

www.asira.org - Coral Care 

My Coraline is growing, i have 4 seeded pieces in the tank. I have a test kit and everything is good. I did not have enough circulation in the tank but now that I got the new ph I am starting to see rapid growth of the Coraline. I have had no issues with things staying alive since the problem was fixed with the ich. This is my first anemone Kurt, You must have me mixed up with someone else. The only time I lost anything was 2 years ago. So far the Coraline is finally doing good.

I just noticed that when I was moving some rock and coral around for flow and light, a piece broke off of 1 of my corals. It is now in a hole in my live rock ( I don't know how ) but should I leave it there? This is the Coral that broke.

Attachments

• 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 45
You can take that piece and glue it to the rock or just stick it in a hole, it should grow another piece.

My Coraline is growing, i have 4 seeded pieces in the tank. I have a test kit and everything is good. I did not have enough circulation in the tank but now that I got the new ph I am starting to see rapid growth of the Coraline.

Hmmm. Two days ago you said you were having problems with your coraline growing. Now you say you're seeing rapid growth. Hate to say, but coraline algae doesn't grow noticeably in two days... more like weeks and months. Are you sure it's coralline? If it's red, slimy and easily distrubed, it's most likely cyanobacteria.

I have had no issues with things staying alive since the problem was fixed with the ich. This is my first anemone Kurt, You must have me mixed up with someone else. The only time I lost anything was 2 years ago. So far the Coraline is finally doing good.

I guess I didn't say that correct. What I meant was that if in the future, you have issues with THIS anemone and corals staying alive, don't forget about the copper. I agree with lance that these corals don't look happy, but it could just be them getting used to their new home. I hope that's all it is.

Back
Top Bottom