new goby. ID please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin0329

Aquarium Advice Freak
I picked up 2 goby's today and they had them labeled as yellow head's. Obviously that's not what they are but it still doesn't help me to id them. Any help would be great!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130502_205326.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130502_205326.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 148
Looks to be Cryptocentrus cinctus. I'll take a closer look later when I have a bit more time.

Tony

Possibly Tony if they come in other colors but after googling cryptocentrus cinctus it appears they would be more yellow. Mine are almost as white as my sand with a hint of grey stripes and blue spots.

A couple of my books (written by goby experts) show individuals that are much more like yours. There are a couple of very similar species about, though, and I suspect some of the ones on the internet are actually these (i.e., not C. cinctus). On looking at the book I have with me at work (A Photographic Guide to the Gobioid Fishes of Japan, by Senou, Suzuki, Shibukawa and Yano), it seems I will need to see the pelvic and anal-fin coloration of your fish before I can offer a more confident identification. It would be good if you could post a photo showing these.

Tony

Here are a couple more shots. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130503_080932.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130503_080932.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 116
  • ForumRunner_20130503_080938.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130503_080938.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 99
  • ForumRunner_20130503_080944.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130503_080944.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 100
It's a watchman goby. They aren't always just yellow.

I bought a yellow watchman that was grey when I got him. He was eating at the store but had no color. I questioned if he was a yellow or not. Got him home with a pistol shrimp he got happy now he is bright yellow. Not sure if yours will do the same but he might color up after he gets acclimated.

I still can't make out the pelvics to confirm that it's Cryptocentrus cinctus, but it might be easier for you to check on the fish rather than take photos. If it's C. cinctus, the pelvics should be finely spotted with blue dots. If they are striped, it would be one of the other species. And no, they aren't really sand sifters.

Tony

Tony, if these are truly what you think they may be are they compatable with other gobies? There are a few others I would like to get but I want to make sure I don't run into compatibility issues. I'd be interested in a diamond watchman and even a pair of engineer gobies. I'll work on getting better pictures or inspecting them myself once they get settled in. They have found a "home" and rarely come out. They are very shy.

Back
Top Bottom