New growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

l'eau IQ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just upgraded lights about one month ago and have noticed a lot of green growth in the tank. I've since cut back on the duration of the lights but was wondering what type of plant/algae this might be. Is it something I should remove? It seems to be growing at a fairly rapid rate.

Sal = 1.024, pH = 8.4, Ammonia = 0, Nitrites & Nitrates = 0

Attachments

• im000153a_143.jpg
    im000153a_143.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 38
Yay! I have that too but it's too small for me to take a decent picture of it. I don't know what it is or if it is harmful so I hope someone ID it for us soon :D

Hmmm.... Apparently stumped some people with this one. Anyone have any suggested websites I can check out to try to ID this myself? This thing has doubled in size since posting this which leads me to believe it may not be beneficial. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

It's definitely more three dimensional than a leaf. It's more cylindrical so the width you see at the base is more or less it's diameter. It looks to have the consistency of jelly but I haven't squeezed or touched it for fear of spreading it if it's bad. It's really not porous like the sponges I'm familiar with.

It looks like a bleached form of algae. I have some in my tank that is brown. Something like this, Rhodophyta. They have the same leafy look. But, I could be totally off.

roka64 said:
It looks like a bleached form of algae. I have some in my tank that is brown. Something like this, Rhodophyta. They have the same leafy look. But, I could be totally off.

This would be my guess as well. Though, not really bleached, just a brown type of algae. Probably one of the rhodophyta's. Do a google search for brown/red macros or have a look at wetwebmedia, I'm sure you'll find tons of stuff there.

Thanks for the input. I figured it was some kind of algae. Since I added my new lights I've had some serious algae blooms that I'm trying to control. Thanks everyone.

I have that growing on a few of my rocks. My damsels seem to love it. They let it grow for a couple of days and then they eat it. I thought it may be some type of kelp but that link of the "red algae" you provided looks exactly like what I have. Cool.

Back
Top Bottom