New Growth on Life Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Petey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was just giving my tank the once over and discovered some new growth on it. The tank has been established for about 3 months now and the rock was cured when it was put in the tank. Water params are all great, and I have yet to loose a fish (knock on wood). I'm not running a fancy light its just 1 - 10,000K flourescent, looking to upgrade when I get some more $$$$. If anyone can help me out with what this is it would be great.

Thanks

Attachments

• pic_1_683.jpg
    pic_1_683.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 152
  • pic_2_607.jpg
    pic_2_607.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 181
I was wondering if it was some kind of an anemone, but I wasn't sure if it was good or bad. After searching the net a bit i'd have to say this is correct by looking at pictures of aptasia. I have a chocolate chip star in the tank, will he deal with it in due course, or am I on my way to a tank break-out? Apparently they multiply like wildfire if you try to get rid of them.

It's aiptasia. Peppermint shrimps will eat that stuff. I don't know about chocolate stars though.

I kill mine by injecting a strong dose of calcium with a syringe. Got to aim at its center.

They will definitly take over if you don't get rid of them. Don't try to pull them off in the tank. They will just multiply and regrow.

Everywhere I read says Peppermint shrimp are the way to go... added one to my tank (32 gallon hex) as I started getting some aiptasia.

My peppermint Shrimp does nothing, my Copperband does a better job eating them. I have heard you can shoot them with Tobasco sauce, lemon juice and vinagar. I would stick to Joes juice to be safe. Just be make sure you drop a tiny bit when you get close so they will come all the way out thinking they are getting food then shoot then and if you have H crabs they normally eat whats leaft. I only have 3 so they don't bother any thing in my tank. My Condy's grow faster than Aiptasia!

Could someone tell me what Joe's Juice is? I also have aiptasia but I have a trigger that doesn't really like shrimp (unless you are talking dinner).

Now if I have no corals or anything other than live rock and fish should I kill the aiptasia? It is kinda cool looking afterall.

Now if I have no corals or anything other than live rock and fish should I kill the aiptasia? It is kinda cool looking afterall.

Yep. Trust me. I did the same thing you want to do. Thought it was cool, didn't know what it was for the longest time. Now, I have a tank overrun with them. Started with one, now...months later, I probably have 30 or 40 in there. I'd get rid of that little one before you have a tankfull. They are quite ugly and unsightly too, IMO.

My LR came with some Apitasia Eating Nudibranchs hitchikers...and I have seen them got at the Aptasias at night...I have never seen my Peppermints touch them!

Back
Top Bottom