new hitch hiker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicksgirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
This thing appeared yesterday and has gotten fuller and more defined overnight. It started off looking like a blob of white sponge and now it is becoming translucent and is shaped just like an onion-dome and clearly has an opening on top.

It looks like the "bubble tip" of the bubble tip anemones you see in the LFS... Could I be so lucky?

I doubt it, it kind of looks like an encrusting sponge, at first glance. Any chance you can get a clearer pic, especially of that "openeing"?

Sorry - the system says I have met my upload quota... (seems odd) but I can't add another picture..

The opening is the little white circle on top. The camera can only pick up the opening in profile because there is too much light on the body of the thing to see the opening from straight on or overhead.

I was gussing maybe a worm lived in there but I haven't seen any.

It is a sponge.

And you can clear some photos to make room by clicking on your profile from one of your posts. Under Upload Quota should say user attachment control panel. You can go from there to remove some of your older pics and make room for new. :)

Since consensus is reached, I won't bother posting the other picture - but thanks for the instruction on making space. I deleted some old pics so I can post new ones now.

(This is really a good Forum, isn't it? Works great, people are nice and helpful. Thanks again!)

I have the same sponges too and different colors!

I have white, yellow, blue, and now a reddish pink sponge! The white ones form long thin tubes that stretch out many inches from the main body. They do grow quite rapidly too!

Attachments

• sponge_424.jpg
    sponge_424.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 41
I had a little battle w/ that white sponge Philosophicles, I'm not sure of an exact ID though. It starting growing so fast and aggressively that the polyps it was in started not opening, and looking stressed. I had to manually remove as much of the sponge as I could. Something to keep your eye on.

Thank You!

Thanks for the advice, I will keep that in mind. From my experience though they have not had that much of an impact. They break off or get eaten or just pecked off by my fish and/or crabs. I only have a 55 Gal. tank anyway, not to difficult to keep things in check. I have had it running 3 1/2 years, and for the most part the only treatment I have had to give it is Red Slime Remover from Ultra Life. I havent' had to interfere to much with how things work out between it's occupants, "knock on wood"!

Back
Top Bottom