New LR Ghostly Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sevise

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got another 30lbs of LR.com keys today. There were a fair number of aptasia on them. I've already "dealt" with all the ones I've seen. However there is one guy thats doesn't look like the rest.

Hes about 1/2" around with tenticles about 3/8" long. The tenticles are transparent except for small white dots, with the largest dot at the tip. The base is on top of a coral structure, the ring is as big as the base and consists of radial bars. Kind of like how kids draw the rays of the sun. I'm letting my sister borow my digital cmaera so I dont have any pics yet.

Is he an aptasia, some kind of polyp, or something else?

Yes.

I've searched online but can't find anything.

Look anything like this....

bernd6_large.jpg

Cheers
Steve

The white tips are right but there is also some white dots on the tenticles themselves. The center is colored as well can't define structure to it though. Possibly something related?

Do a google image search for Pseudocorynactis and Astrangia. Sounds like it may be one of those. There also the off chance it could be Bartholomea annulata.

Cheers
Steve

I finally got some pics. I had a hard time getting a pic but its better than nothing.

IDme1.JPG

IDme2.JPG

The base is a hard structure. Do anemones form coral structures or could this be some kind of coral?

I've tried looking it up and it does seem to match. I can't seem to find anything about these in aquarium. Does anyone have any suggestions to keeping it alive?

I believe they require feeding. And don't rely on light for food. Hopefully someone else can give you more info on it. I believe it's care is alot like that of the sun polyps.

Not sure on the feeding but it is a solitary cup species of some type. Could also be Paracyathus stearnsi. If it stays colorless, there's a good chance it's not photosynthetic.

Cheers
Steve

i have those too! i have 3! i know they're not aptasia cause they dont grow as fast, and the center has a sort of pattern to it right?

Back
Top Bottom