New moving thing in my tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marklab

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have never seen this before in my tank! It seems to be moving along the glass! It looks like a baby starfish! Without a few legs! Has anyone seen this?

Attachments

• star_141.jpg
    star_141.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 107
  • star_182.jpg
    star_182.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 228
From what I have read, and been told, they are coral eaters. I have recently removed several from my reef. I would be interested to read an experts opinion though.

WHAT! Thats not something I want to hear. I have found a number of those recently but never heard that they consume corals. I thought they were just another cool invertebrate. Mine look just like that, like they're missing some legs, it's actually the first live thing I saw on my first piece of live rock years ago. I hope thats not true! I would love to see some links if any one has any info, I found something about coral eating starfish on GARF but they did not look like the same thing http://www.garf.org/news27p2.html
it's towards the bottom of this page.

check out www.garf.org and go to Aquarium Pests. Look up Sps eating Starfish. I believe this is what your pic is of but like I said, I would like to read someone elses interpretation before you go to town with your tweezers. :wink:

It's really hard to tell, mine are white only, but do look similar. Though I have never seen them on any corals, just rocks and glass.

Do you have any particular corals that you are concerned about? Do they show any signs of damage?

It sounds like you find these little critters interesting...I'm not so quick to condemn anything even if others tell me it is "bad".

It depends on what you want your aquarium to be. For me, there are a lot of "bad" things in my tank, but I find them equally interesting.

I always see these starfish in every reef tank I come across and never saw a single one on a coral...ever, nor have I ever seen any problems with coral in connection with these starfish. I have noticed they do eat coraline algae. Personally, I don't worry about them at all.

There's a name for these but right now it escapes me.... although the different types look similar there are differences.... most of these are algae,detrius eaters... some are known to eat on corals , but I agree until you notice damage I wouldn't bother with them.... I have several in my tank but haven't ever seen them anywhere near my corals......

Thanks.

I was unsure if it was a star! I have never seen it before Esp. on a coral! I am not too worried about it right now! I will keep an eye on it! Thanks to your advice!

I also read they eat Acropora. I had one of those before! Long gone now (Bleaching)

So Hopefully he will just live off the alge! Or turn my crushed coral into sand! LOL

Thanks again.

Yup, looks like a small britle star that is missing a leg or two. Should be just fine in your tank. My overflowis covered with about two dozen of these and they do no harm.

Back
Top Bottom