New SPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shirtlessbill

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,

Just picked up some new SPS. My lfs is very awesome however with the amount of corals they have they tend to group the frags by family not necessarily by name. Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• image-4119385032.jpg
    image-4119385032.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 108
  • image-339998775.jpg
    image-339998775.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 100
  • image-3225677093.jpg
    image-3225677093.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 115
The white tips on the ends of the birds nest: are these like monti's where it is a sign of growth or is it bleaching? My tank has a lot of softies and lps that are growing and splitting but I'm new to sps, so thank you

The third picture is xenia not anthellia. Otherwise I agree with what was said. Anthellia does not have all the micro tentacles on the "petals" of the polyps

You cannot judge just by the polyp heads. Some Anthelia species have the same feathery appearance as Xenia. The true test is the fact that Xenia polyps pulsate when the water conditions are favorable, and Xenia polyps grow from a stalk. Anthelia polyps do not pulsate, and they grow from a mat. The Anthelia genus contains several different species of different colors, and different polyp head shapes.

For the record there is a head of Xenia on that third plug. It attached itself to the frag plug, I removed it as soon as I took the picture. I was referring to the coral in front. Sorry

Back
Top Bottom