New starfish, never seen one like this before?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just got a new starfish at my LFS. I figure it is not reef safe but I'm going to have another tank to put him in by the time I start buying corals. I hope he doesn't eat too much of my good algae or snails.

Anybody know why kind he is, I can't him anywhere?

It is a type of "general star", Pentaceraster sp. (I think :?: )

Cheers
Steve

Sounds good! I'm assuming it's not too friendly with anything it can get it's little fingers on. Do you guys think it will eat my snails? I can't imagine it could really catch shrimp or fish(when sleeping)?

I figured I'd just buy him even though I knew he wasn't reef safe knowing I'd have another non-reef tank for him but I don't want him to catch a fish!

It may be hard to find an exact match. The only thing you might be able to do, is determine which family it is in and decide from there what it's needs will be. It may of in the Pentaceraster sp. (although I didn't get a pic, I have one in a book)

Check the 6th pic down of >>This Site<<

Maybe of the Protoreaster sp. >>Look at this page<<--->>And Here<<

Or the Oreasteridae family >>Look at this page<< --- >>And Here<<

Hope these get you in the right direction!

[EDIT: Wow, looks like a lot of responses while I was gathering links!]

WOW NaH20, those are some great links. I know I really need to research before I buy, but its just sooo hard to do when you see something you like so much, especially if you've never seen it before in countless trips to LFS's :wink:

Back
Top Bottom