New stuff HATCHED!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anything you recommend that may prevent that? My kids were looking forward to adding fish when we got home!

I had the tank for just about a month, even though I have had my ammonia spikes already? I would come back to an uncycled tank? Not sure I follow please forgive me

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Should I add fish now then?

Should I add fish now then?

Who is going to feed it while you are gone? Yes, you cycled your tank. But that bacteria needs ammonia and nitrite to eat to survive. That is their hamburgers. You could dose an ammonia source again until you return to help. In a week you probably won't go back to square one, but you might see ammonia spikes as the adding of a fish could overwhelm what bacteria is left when you get home. Just really bad timing.

Well I have a friend dog sitting, they could feed the fish for me!

Also I have a ticking/clicking
Noise from the tank any ideas?

Sorry to bug you with this just don't wanna see my tank crash while I'm away!

Last edited by a moderator:
Clicking is probably a hitch hiking pistol shrimp. Some also claim mantis shrimp do that as well...but highly unlikely you have one. Take a long glass, tip it on its side and put some food inside. You'll catch whatever it is.

Ok thanks, so overall the hydroids may go away on there own, and I may have to recycle the tank after vacation?

Sound right?

Clicking is probably a hitch hiking pistol shrimp. Some also claim mantis shrimp do that as well...but highly unlikely you have one. Take a long glass, tip it on its side and put some food inside. You'll catch whatever it is.

That would work on a crab, but both pistols and mantis would just swim out. 90% of the time it's just a pistol which is a cool reef inhabitant, if it's a mantis (also very cool but species only really) then there are other traps you can buy/DIY out there if you decide to get rid of it.

Ok thanks sniper for everything! Would it be beneficial to add fish before vacation to eliminate having to re cycle the tank

Ok looks like that what I'll do!

Last question, just check my levels and my nitrates seem borderline high, how is that possible with nothing in there?

You cycled your tank. The ammonia turns into nitrite and that turns into nitrate. That is your nitrate cycle. You do water changes to bring nitrate levels down and should do one upon completion of the cycle until they are 0. A large one will zero things out for your new fish...and remind your friend to feed SPARINGLY so you don't come back to an algae tank. I feed three times a week, and barely, to give you an idea here.

Ok! Water change tomorrow and new fish, sniper thanks a bunch! It's much appreciated!!!!!!

Ok! Water change tomorrow and new fish, sniper thanks a bunch! It's much appreciated!!!!!!

Big wc, example 100ppm nitrate and a 50% change should bring you to ~50ppm. You want to get it below 10 IMO, lower is better of course.

It's was about 40ppm

Just did WC, test levels tomorrow after work, should all be ok,
I'm going to grab a fish or two in the evening

Back
Top Bottom