New Tank - Help me ID These

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OnlyTono

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my new (and first) tank up and running for about two weeks now. The Live rock I bought was pretty good and came with lots of life.

I'm not sure what these are so maybe you can help me.

Attachments

• Tonos_Tank_ID_1-3.jpg
    Tonos_Tank_ID_1-3.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 130
  • Tonos_Tank_ID_4-5.jpg
    Tonos_Tank_ID_4-5.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 131
  • Tonos_Tank_ID_6-7.jpg
    Tonos_Tank_ID_6-7.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 125
Four is a red tube worm. Awesome little critters. Very prolific. Seems everyday I find a new one in my tank

Four is a red tube worm. Awesome little critters. Very prolific. Seems everyday I find a new one in my tank

Cool - I have quite a few of these on the rock. They are all pretty small right now, how big do these get?

You might want to do battle with the flatworms now instead of waiting until you get some fish and stuff in there. Flatworn exit a couple of times about 3 to 5 days apart and watch to see if they come back.

flatworms - not sure I would recognize one if i saw it. Which photo number shows the flatworms?

I'll do some research on how to get rid of them - any tips for a newbie on what works best?

I'm just about ready to do my 2nd flatworm treatment. I had thousands of them and the first treatment pretty much got the majority of them. I'm using salifert's flatworm exit. It works within minutes but you HAVE to follow the directions.

It's the little square looking red things. :)

I can't seem to see anything that matches up what Ive seen online :huh:

I tried scraping a few of the areas that sort of look like the photos ive seen, and they where all hard patches - should they be soft and easy to scrape off?

I want to actually see one (and know I'm seeing one), so that i can recognize this sort of thing in the future

If one of you can give me the number from the photos above that have the most obvious flatworms, I'll shoot a more high-res image of that area and post it up.

Thanks for you help!

I think Mr. X was referring to picture 5. It looks like it could be flatworms to me, but a close up would help. :)

Here's a closeup of that area - it;s a tough spot to get a closup on, so I may or maynot have gotten a pic thats any better than the first one.

Attachments

• IMG_8209.jpg
    IMG_8209.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 108
OnlyTono said:
Here's a closeup of that area - it;s a tough spot to get a closup on, so I may or maynot have gotten a pic thats any better than the first one.

Those are fan worms,nice.

Flatworms are easily sucked up with a piece of air tube and feather dusters aren't, to me the fifth picture does look more like flatworms and the forth looks like little feather dusters. All it takes is one flatworm to live through the treatment and you will be treating the tank again.

OnlyTona,I don't see a flatworm in that picture.Take your hand and wave it at that area,if there is a flatworm in that area you will swish it off the rock.Let us know.

i was referring to the photo with the white directional lines on it. it looks like flatworms to me. like rick said, if they don't blow off the rock with some decent flow aimed at them, they probably aren't the worms. either way, not a life and death thing.

I stopped in my LFS this evening, they where able to show me a few flat worms they had in one of their display tanks - so now i know what to look for :)

I'll give it the "swish" test in the AM and see what happens.

Antonio...

The swish test came up clean :)
I tried it with my hand as well as with a syphon and nothing came off the rock. Thanks for the tip!

Back
Top Bottom