newb needs help identifying corals...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

proverbs

Aquarium Advice Activist
i found these pictures in the members SW area. i was wondering what specific kind of corals. anenomies, or clams these are?? i am planning to get some corals for my tank this weekend and narrowed it down to these. since i am fairly new to the fish world, i would prefer something easy - moderate.

this one looks like an anenomie. if it is, i'll have to pass...
IMG_0926.JPG

i hope this one is a coral and not a clam...and hopefully it is easy...

4999Tank-9-18-04_018.jpg

i know this one is a toadstool, but can someone help me out with what kind of toadstool? if the first two don't work, i'll get this one since i know most toadstools are known to be easy...
577clowntoadstool.jpg

all these pictures are awesome btw.
TIA!

The first photo is an anemone.
The second photo is a brain coral.
The third photo is a toadstool leather (Sarcophyton)
The last photo looks to be a colt coral or some type of tree coral.

Other non-anemone "hosting" corals are the long tenticle torch corals and the hammer coral. Many clowns will use these corals as a substitute, although they can damage the coral by doing so.

What kind of lighting do you have? That will also help narrow down your search. Softies and most lps will be fine under HO,VHO,PC, and MH. Beyond that, the road gets a bit curvy. It depends on wattage, depth of tank, and where you place the corals...I have a frag of A. micropthalma that is slowly growing under pc's, but it is in the upper few inches of the tank, whereas softies(shrooms,rics,zoos) and most lps wil be fine most places. Flow also is a determining factor...

to be honest, i don't kow what lighting it is, but it seems pretty bright. it is a 40 gal JEBO tank, very similiar to the nanocube.

thanks for all the suggestions. but the only one to be in the easy level, seems to be the Leather Toadstool, so i guess i will start off with that one. i really like the brain, torch, hammer, long-tentacle plate, and frogspawn, but it seems like they are harder to maintain.

anyone know what that last one is by any chance? it seems like the clowns are enjoying it.

No clue on the last, I would go with colt or tree coral of some sort as well. However the first thing that came to my mind was pink hydnophora, but the tentacles would be a little thicker. Mushrooms are a nice addition, too and are easy to keep as well. Zoanthids, button polyps, green star polyps and hammers and torches should be fine also.
If you take out the light bulb and see what kind of pins it has or writing on the bulb, or even better yet a picture of the set-up would deffo help out...
HTH!

Yeah I have a Fire Clown that used a goniporia (flower pot) but from where the clown swam in it a started getting brown jelly disease so I moved it into a QT but it was too late. I would def figure out how many Watts of lighting you have before you place any coral in there

Back
Top Bottom