Newbie looking to ID a few things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cplawrence

Aquarium Advice Freak
As the title says, I am new to SW and was hoping to ID a few things in my tank (about 4 weeks old). The first two pictures were the best I could get of a couple of the bristleworms living in my tank. While I have seen some pictures, I am not all that confident I could differentiate a good bristleworm from a bad one. In the third picture, there is an orange "cup" (for lack of a better word) right in the center. In the center of the fourth pic toward the top, one of the rocks has this purple matting. In the last two pics, I am wondering if what I have is just different colors of coraline algae. The first one shows a rock with a very deep purple and then a reddish purple as well. The last picture shows a rock with a very bright red coloring in one spot. Are all of these coraline?
Thanks in advance,
Chris

Attachments

• bristleworm2_130.jpg
    bristleworm2_130.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 85
  • cup_159.jpg
    cup_159.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 86
  • mat.jpg
    mat.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 94
Doh, I guess there's a maximum on the number of pics. Let's try again.

Attachments

• polyps_coraline.jpg
    polyps_coraline.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 74
  • redcoraline.jpg
    redcoraline.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 66
i also have noticed a bristle worm in my tank, prolly 2 weeks ago.
he makes me very nervous, he hitchhiked on some carib aquacultured,
if i ever got my hands on him id flush him even though the he may be beneficial(not saying thats the right thing to do), since then i have put my hard and soft corals very high up in the tank,
he has been very hard to find ever since...
ive noticed my worm easily doubled in size...he might have gone from 6" to 12" in a few weeks? maybe my tank is just really good eating...
any expert advice out there for the both of us?

I'm not sure the pics loaded in the order you intended but I"m gonna give a stab at helping with your ID's. The bristleworms is fine. Most are harmless and beneficial and unless you actually see them eating your corals, I would let them be. The small orange cup in the middle of pic two looks like a polyp/coral of some sort. I have the same thing in my seahorse tank and it is a slow grower but I have noticed growth over the last 8mo or so. Of course, mine is only under normal output florescence also so maybe that is slowing it down. The first pic looks like an incrusting sponge. In the two pics of your next post looks like coralline algae. It does come in several colors. I have green, purple, pink and some that is more orangish in color. HTH

evasive,
By killing off your bristleworms, IMO you'd be doing your tank a disservice. Bristleworms are hard workers and help keep excess food cleaned up and not fouling your tank. You can help control the population by not feeding as much. Over feeding will cause a population explosion though truly, I wouldn't worry.

Back
Top Bottom