Now I have a bunch of snails, What do I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dulcisveteranus

Aquarium Advice Activist
I told my mom to pick up some seashells for my hermit crabs since she was going to the beach and when she came back she brought a bunch of live snails. I wasn't expecting this. I can't go to the beach to return them since it is far away and its night. I have them in a container of some of my aquarium water. They are cold water since they were brought from a beach (pacifica) in California. I would like to know what kind of snails they are and if they are reef safe and if they like warm water (78-84˚). I know theres a risk of parasites but I'm willing to take my chances. If they are not reef safe what should I do with them. I really don't want to flush or kill them since I am a very "Extremist Vegan" (Although I buy fish food with animal products and own aquariums).

They have a black body with a yellow underside.
Postimage.org / gallery - IMG 0686, IMG 0692, IMG 0693

Margarita snail

These are saltwater snails. Saltwater is needed in a cycled tank.

Air bubbler. A saltwater tank. If you set one up I would suggest a lot of research into setting up a SW tank and bunch of live rock.

Make sure if you get "Live rock" that it is fully cycled to be real live rock not just from the store where they throw in a bunch of dry rock and call it live the next day. Live sand.

Margaritas are reef safe, but their lifespans will be shortened in tropical temperatures. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You basically got what you asked for. If you have a saltwater tank you can put them in and they'll do their thing until they die off...then you have your shells. As already stated, margarita snails have shortened life spans in our warmer water tanks.

Back
Top Bottom