Octopus coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxlbreed

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ey!!
Found this beauty at my lcs (coral store ;)
I was told its an octopus coral by a buddie. Anyone know what it is exactly and if it has special needs? Thx!!

image-3292911141.jpg

It is a LPS without a better picture of it is rather hard to tell. It is a Euphyllia

It is a LPS without a better picture of it is rather hard to tell. It is a Euphyllia

i figured as much. could not find info on the specific type online.
here are pics from my dslr

Attachments

• _MG_5193.jpg
    _MG_5193.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 118
  • _MG_5196.jpg
    _MG_5196.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 101
  • _MG_5197.jpg
    _MG_5197.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 96
Its a retracted frogspawn AKA octopus coral. Did you just add it?

Last edited:
Yes I did, 3 days ago, it was moved multiple times the first day cause I wasnt sure about the flow, today it is opened really nice for the first time.
Any ideas on care?

medium flow and light. sometimes they will accept meaty foods. that one may pick up some green under the right conditions.

If it remains short, which frogspawns have a longer tentacle, I think it would be more of a Euphyllia Cristata. In which it's the same care as X said.

Bonessurf said:
If it remains short, which frogspawns have a longer tentacle, I think it would be more of a Euphyllia Cristata. In which it's the same care as X said.

I believe it was mentioned to be a "retracted frogspawn aka octopus coral" after doing some more research I believe you are correct in that it is within Euphyllia Cristata. However the exact species has not been named.
It seems rather rare to me and like a good find. I moved it to a more low flow area, tentacles are expanding slightly to about 1 to 1.5 cm - I can see where the name octopus coral comes from.
Thank you all for the help.

I got a couple more to I'd for u guys, do I start a new thread for each one or do I just post adding to this one?

You can add here, but it's possible only the ones thar commented on it will keep commenting.

ill just start a new thread .. that way it may be easier for people to find the info later on..

Back
Top Bottom