Octopus Ok for tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ted

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got this Hitchhiker on my recent excursion to pick live rock. Do you guys think he is ok for my tank and if so is frozen foods enough?

Attachments

• DSC02907.jpg
    DSC02907.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 266
Octopus are considered expert only, and they are the ultimate escape artist. An almost sealed tank is required. That's about all I could tell you!
I saw one once at a LFS and wanted it really bad, but my mind beat out my heart.

i wanted on once. lfs told me eats everything in tank, has to be by itself and is hard to care for. i say keep it if u have a tank it might thrive in. they r cool. all i got was algae from my live rock.

I am a total beginner(6 weeks only) and he is only 1/2" large and my tank is a closed top acrylic SeaClear so for now he will live happy ever after.

Attachments

• DSC02904.jpg
    DSC02904.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 243
I would put some bricks on that top, and remove that flame angel before it gets eaten, and that hippo tang should not be in a tank 3 times that size.

Thanx for advise. I know the Hippo Tang should be in a larger tank. The octopus is the size of a pebble so for now Im not going to worry about it eating the flame angel which is 20 times the size.

Ok since I am a newbie to saltwater help me out, the Hippo Tang grows pretty large that I know, so for now I believe he will adapt to the 50gal.
In the meantime I can enjoy him then later get rid of him.
Nu-Nu what is your concern?

Yes i agree, he should be ok for a few months but trust me those dang things grow fast! Have you herd of ich? Well a short rundown of ich is that its a desiese where the fish will develop white spots on its skin which will spread to every fish in the tank and will kill them in a few weeks if not treated. The hippo tang gets stressed very easily and will get ich all the time. To a newbie this is a recipe for disaster. Good luck!

Ich is usually present in any tank, if the Hippo tang gets it that does not mean all my fish will get it due to they all have that slime that protects them.
My tank is not even 60 days old and ich is not even there yet unless a fish has it already which I dont see.
Thanx for your input.

Sweet. I reckon keep it and see how it goes. They are fascinating. The fish may end up being lunch though. Time will tell. Good luck and awesome hitch hiker

ted said:
Ich is usually present in any tank, if the Hippo tang gets it that does not mean all my fish will get it due to they all have that slime that protects them.
My tank is not even 60 days old and ich is not even there yet unless a fish has it already which I dont see.
Thanx for your input.

Ya ich may not be present yet, but im sure it will be inteoduced later on as you buy more fish. They do have slime coats that protect them, but the hippos coat is much thinner then your other fish, which will allow him to get ich very easily. This doesnt mean that your other fish wont get ich, but they have a good chance

IMO feed your fish Garlic will boost their immune system and ward off ICH. I've had good luck with Garlic Extreme. If I see a fish flashing I'll feed it to them. If I see any white spots I'll add it to the system per the instructions for 3 days then do a PWC. I hope this helps you with your Tang!

Wow thats an amazing octapus! I would put it in a small tank... 20g or 30g. And make sure it is sealed shut because it will get out... I would try a variety of foods to get it eating and over time if he is doin good then you should put him in a seperate tank that is MUCH BIGGER!

Just pretend that your octopus has thumbs. It will open the lid and get out once it decides it needs a walk. Even with bricks ontop of that lid, the chance is still there for escape.

Personally I would setup a small tank just for the octopus. That is probably the coolest HH I've ever seen. If you do keep it you there some things to keep in mind. I'm no expert this is just what I have read about octopus. The most important thing is a closed sealed locked and latched vault for a top, they are able to release latches and lift tops. Second is that they like to be entertained when feeding, play tug of war or create puzzles for them to solve to get their supper. Most articles I've come across suggest putting their food in a closed jar, yes they are capable of opening the jar. That's pretty much the basics only thing left is to inform you that octopus don't live very long. Good luck, I reiterate that you should set up a species only tank. A ten gallon would likely do the trick for now (once it outgrows you then have a medical/quarantine tank) and I can't speak for everyone but I would love to see more pics of that little guy.

Actually saw an octopus at my lfs today and considered buying him! But my parents wont let me get any other tanks setup): so I will have to get an octopus in my own house someday!

armyman16 said:
Actually saw an octopus at my lfs today and considered buying him! But my parents wont let me get any other tanks setup): so I will have to get an octopus in my own house someday!

God bless homeowners, we can fulfill our dreams without parental intervention lol.

Yea I keep saying, once I get out of here I will be able to have all the tanks I want. But currently my parents seem to think the 60gal is HUGE so I don't think there's any room for upgrading while I'm here.

The octopus is really cool, if you keep it it needs a really good name. :)

Sniperhank said:
Just pretend that your octopus has thumbs. It will open the lid and get out once it decides it needs a walk. Even with bricks ontop of that lid, the chance is still there for escape.

Hahahaaaa.

I don't think i would be able to sleep well knowing that..

I had one. I caught in Panama City. He lived for awhile but died because the environment probably stressed it out including my Niger Trigger that liked to peck him.

Back
Top Bottom