Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-30-2003, 05:52 AM   #1
cj10488

Odd looking Crab Need ID

Ok I was checking out the tank tonight and seen this odd looking white crab.. I took him out of the tank to get a better look at him.. I have taken a picture and attached it to this thread.. Please help me identify this Unknown crab.

Thanks Again,
James
Old 09-30-2003, 08:44 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I have no idea what kind of crab this is, ReefLady is good with crab ID, hopefully she'll check this out. No matter what the species...I know it would not be allowed to live in my tank

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 05:18 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
ReefLady is good with crab ID, hopefully she'll check this out.
Urgghhhh.... crab ID's are horrible. LOL. All I can say is that I'm pretty sure it's a Xanthid, which doesn't narrow it down very much, just puts it into the category of a "round" reef crab.

Quote:
No matter what the species...I know it would not be allowed to live in my tank
That I would agree with 100%. Even crabs which are 'primarily' herbivores are opportunistic predators, and will eat *whatever* is available when hungry. I would absolutely not keep any type of reef crab in my tank - I personally hesitate to add even Emerald crabs, and dislike hermits unless tiny.

Sorry I couldn't help more.
ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 05:56 PM   #4
cj10488

I actually have been keeping the crabs in there as they are extremely hard to catch.. I also have a mantis in there that has been taking care of a few crabs for me.. It seems as though the mantis and the crabs are the hardest to catch.. Any other suggestions as to how to catch the crabs???

James
Old 10-01-2003, 05:25 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Any other suggestions as to how to catch the crabs???
Other than removing the rock that you know is it's "den" - it's pretty hard. I know that there are "crab traps" on the market, but I have no personal experience with them. You might want to run it by your LFS - or maybe someone else here has some experience with the trap?
ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 08:55 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Take a straight sided glass (must be smooth glass), weight a piece of krill and put it in the bottom of the glass, lean the glass against a piece of LR and put it in the tank, right before the lights go out. If the crab enters the cup it should not be able to climb back out. There is also a trick with cutting the top off a two liter bottle, inverting the top, sticking it back in the bottle with some bait in the bottom. Same deal as above, it can get in, but can't get out.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crab

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com