Odd white blob with a circular crown. Pls help ID.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eardison

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I found this growing in my tank about two months after adding a small pc of live rock. I've found them in my filter housing and in small colonies here and there, usually in the shade of or behind rocks. They start out looking like maggots, but they don't move. I have a feeling this isn't going to be good. :?

In the pic, you will see a loner in the top left of the photo. It looks fuzzy, but it's not. There is also a colony right in line, but behind the first left antennae of my Coral B Shrimp.. Ill see if I can get a better shot.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• id_1_116.jpg
    id_1_116.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 29
QTip huh? DO they multiply like crazy? These do.. Here are some other pics.. They also have a round crown. Ill look though.

OH!! OK Fluff, you got it!!! They look just like this

http://www.reef-aquarium.net/resources/livestock/critters/sponges.html

Thanks a bunch. Setting up a new tank and moving my LR. Didnt want to introduce some crazy and vile devilspawn creature... It says these are harmless. I guess you would agree??

Attachments

• dead_on_center_176.jpg
    dead_on_center_176.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 24
  • clown_stripe_148.jpg
    clown_stripe_148.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 23
Yes I would agree. Some may argue it but I feel they are actually helpful. They are continually filtering your water. How can that be anything but helpful? :D
They love dark places and can easily be scrapped off. They may become a nuisance in your filtering equipment. Clogging intakes and such though. Good luck.

It'll be easier if you zoom/crop, then open the picture in Microsoft Paint. Then you can draw an arrow to what you're asking about, or a circle around it.

Thanks for the advice/ID Fluff! You too Gina D!

I have a real crappy camera and it has no zoom (wahhh)... Anyway, I know what they are now.. I think I will rid my rocks of as many as possible.. I don't really think I want them hanging around because they've already got my filter all clogged.

I've often seen these guys referred to as a Pinapple sponge as well. They spread all over my tank for the first six months or so and then began to die back.

Back
Top Bottom