Oil floating? And Still white mold...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mansiz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Why is there some thing that looks like oil floating at the surface of the water? Its looks like oil, but I know that its not oil, its something brownish. And why My LR still have white mold? My powerhead is already very very huge in power, even the surface of the water looks like wave. Can I leave the mold there and don't care about it?

Why is there some thing that looks like oil floating at the surface of the water? Its looks like oil, but I know that its not oil, its something brownish.

Search the site for the following "oil slick" and you should find a few posts about it. Basicly its excess DOC's collecting at the suface of your tank. This is not only nasty looking but it restricts gas exchange as well as reduces the light that penitrates into the tank.

The white "mold" could simply be natural sponge growth. A close up detailed pictured would help to ID it.

As for the oil slick, have you put in an overflow system to a sump? Otherwise, the only way to prevent it would be to have some sort of surface skimming filter or protein skimmer. I have it on all of my tanks, with the right amount of surface agitation by pointing a powerhead at the surface, it does not hinder gas exchange. The only other thing i have found to work is using a HOB filter, but IMO it is not worth the addition problems it creates with salt creep, etc.

I think I might have the same white mold stuff on he live rock. It looks like spider web/gel stuff. Is it new growth or is it the stuff dieing off? I have a skimmer and I am on day 5 of the curing of my new live rock. Any help as to what I should do or what it is?

Hi all and WarOrks15, I think after I increase the currents in the tank ( I placed a stronger powerhead ), the white stuff is starting to disappear. You could try this method too, but try to get a powerhead that does not produce heat, I'm regreting getting this powerhead that increase temp of my tank water.

well i do not think that is my problem i have a max-jet 400 and 600 hitting the rock and then a cap 1200 from my sump pumping the water around. i am turning my water like 11.3 times an hour.

WarOrks15 said:
It looks like spider web/gel stuff.
Does it look alot like silicone glue with a bunch of holes in it?

Leucosolenia sp.
LRI765.JPG

Cheers
Steve

after looking at them a little closer, i do not think that that is what they are. they do not have all the little holes on them like the pic. it is mostly one full sheet with one little hole in the center. but it dose not cover all the rock just in some of the parts. mostly over holes and such.

Probabley a variant of the species but I'm pretty sure it's a type of sponge. Not really anything to be concerned about... :wink:

If I figure out the super macro setting on my camera, I'll snap a shot of what I'm talking about from my tank.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom