Ooey gooey cobwebs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Feron

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well...
So I get home from work today and find someone has decorated the tank with 'cobwebs'.
(I did a search, and this volume of material doesn't seem to fit previous classifications of 'cobwebs')
I do have 4 large fan/tube worms, which I've read can expel a discharge like this from time to time if stressed or if they are about to redo their crown, but I'm not really sure if that's it either..
The strands are much more volumous thent he pictures portray..and a good 5-8" long in places...
The fish seem to avoid them, but arn't really disturbed by them

Anyways, here's some pics, any ideas are appreciated.

No corals in the system yet..or anenomes... just tube worms, shrimp, crabs, snails and fish..

Tank has been going for 3+ months
90g reef-ready
260w of PC lighting
sump w/skimmer, heater, live rock rubble and carbon/cermic filled bioballs in stages, uv turbotwist
Flow is about 1300gph without head height included.
Water is ro/di at 79f avg, ph 8.2, sg 1.025, no measureable amm or trite, barely recognizeable trate lvls.
Water changes are between 10-20% every couple few weeks as needed.
Levels of trace elements, calcium, iodine, iron etc are all within 'perfect' levels
(I work very hard on the water quality... I keep logs and check things often)

All inhabitants are picked to be compatible.
I was hoping it was some sort of 'spawn' from the fan worms (since I like em and they are easy to maintain and look cool).

As of this morning the white are gone (I assume untangled by the flow and sucked into the overflow during the night).

I have the same exact thing...and I was worried it was linked to the death of my snails...I have been loosing my turbo snails lately and I can't figure out why...I thought the "cobweb" stuff was them dying off. If you find out what that is...let me know!

I have a very similar set up....fish, shrimp, snails, hermits, urchins, and tube worms....

I wish someone had an idea on this....Austinsdad??? FLuff??? Anyone??

I wish I could help ya but the best I can figure is from the tube worms like mentioned already.

Well... I see the hermits doing routine maint on the tubes sometimes, but this is the first time it's happened...
I'll keep monitoring the tank for snail loss or other oddities :)

Hmm, I only have one large tube worm, and if it is him, then he sure can produce alot of it. My large tube work is excellent, he eats well and is flourishing...the smaller one is rebuilding his crown that got eaten off...but he seems to be doing ok to.

Its so weird though, I have the exact same issue as those pictures are showing...and after a few days it disappears....

anybody else experience this?

TIA

From wet web media:

Feather Dusters
Hi WWM Crew! <<Hello, JasonC here...>>
First timer for salt water and asking a question on your site. I visit your site daily now, found it days after we got our 55 gallon and just can't get enough of it - you guys are great! <<I'm glad you find the information useful.>> Have searched through your FAQ's for Feather Dusters and found only one question specifically relating to mine "Feather Dusters Going Mad" I think was the "title". I too have two beautiful feather dusters that this morning began emitting clouds of... well off white clouds.;-) The answer on FAQ was not very specific and I am a little concerned. First timer jitters I'm sure. <<Quite likely.>> What are these clouds. <<Hard to know for certain without a microscope... there are only one or two possibilities...>> They continue to emit them even as I write this. Reproducing? <<Ding! Or at least my guess as well.>> If this is a feather duster orgasm we should regard them as gods.;-) <<Not really, if you think about it for a minute, there are a number of marine species and even some terrestrial insects who create gametes/eggs/offspring/spawing-attemps for the simple matter that a very large percentage of them will never make it. Only way to survive through a mortality curve like that is to breed better than rabbits.>> Please help. My local fish store has proved to be inconsistent with their info and no one could ever know as much as you guys! Thanks for ALL of your help you continue to be a source of both inspiration and peace of mind. <<Glad to hear we are helpful.>> Laura
<<Cheers, J -- >>

---

Might be it... would explain why the stuff stuck to everything :D

Weeeelll It wasn't a worm spawning lol
I found the culprit.. it was one of my hawaiian fan worms.
It must be mucus, as he has decided to come out of his tube.
I do notice his crown is splitting in two, so there are two options I spose..
1. he's dying a horrible death
2. he's reproducing via splitting

I have pictures of him crawling out of his tube if anyone wants to see heh

I just had this happen with my feather duster. He threw his crown then started moving out then back in his tube. He spewed that stuff all over the tank, it was amazing so much webby stuff could come from him. I had a really hard time finding anything about it on the web (pardon the pun.) In our case it wasn't a good ending, but hopefully something better is happening in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom