Orange algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foskett96

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi my tank has been cycling for about 2 and a half weeks now and I have noticed a little bit if orange algae stuff on part of the rock. What could this be and is it bad.

Is it brownish? And it's more than likely diatom algae. Most every tank gets this during or after its initial cycling. Pictures are always a help. Just keep up a 10% weekly water change and suck it out as much as possible with the hose you use to do water changes. Also if the tank is full cycled it's time for you to get a CUC (clean up crew). A good place to go to see what would work for your tank is reefcleaners.org. They can make you a custom crew list or they have pre made ones on their site just check your tank size and they'll set you up.

Have you kept lights off while cycling? If you leave lights on it will grow. The orange algae has taken over my sump because I leave lights on 24 hours to help new chaeto grow but it isnt anywhere in dt because left lights off

Back
Top Bottom