Orange BLOB??? and brown stuff?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwish8990

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've got some orange blob looking thing that is growing or came out of my liverock... the clownfish seems to be hovering over it or guarding it and whenever the damsel comes near the clown chases him away. The orange thing appears to be alive! I"ve seen it move and change shape.. sort of like deflate and then inflate into another shape. WEIRD!! Anyone know what this could be?? :?: :?:

See pics...

Attachments

• blob1.jpg
    blob1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 225
  • blob2.jpg
    blob2.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 122
Nope, just leave it alone. Just a sponge growing on the LR, its a good thing.

what about this brown stuff in the sand? and its turning the live rocks the same color....

Attachments

• brownliverock.jpg
    brownliverock.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 148
  • sand_166.jpg
    sand_166.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 101
Fluff said:
Looks like diatoms. Or it could be the start of a cyano outbreak.

Is that bad? I thought it might be that I was overfeeding the fish and the leftovers from the food was turning the sand brown. But now that I think about it would it turn the rocks a brownish color as well? Hm.

Well, not bad really. Just looks bad. I would try not feeding so much and maybe shortening your light cycle. Do you know what your phosphate and nitrate levels are? You might also try adding another powerhead.

I have my powerhead near the top of the tank with the water shooting to the surface... is that how most people position it? I haven't seen any other tanks to compare it with... i just figure its correct cause I hung it on the tank w/ the clip. The other hose you see is from the fluval 404....

Attachments

• maxi-jet.jpg
    maxi-jet.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 168
  • fluval.jpg
    fluval.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 114
Well, yeah, breaking the surface is a good idea. But, I would add an addition one or two even toward the bottom to circulate the water down there. Cyano can only grab hold in dead areas where there isn't enough flow. I have almost the same set up as you do, with the exception of the canister filter. Instead, I have four powerheads and my skimmer.

i think the first thing, the orange thing is a tunicate, it should have two openings an in and and out. i have some that look just like it, when you touch it it sorta deflates, then slowly puffs back up, very cool things, they're also known as sea squirts.

mle421 said:
i think the first thing, the orange thing is a tunicate, it should have two openings an in and and out. i have some that look just like it, when you touch it it sorta deflates, then slowly puffs back up, very cool things, they're also known as sea squirts.

I think your right :!: I just looked it up on the internet and thats exactly what it is. And it spawned a baby tunicate! lol. I see a little tiny one developing in another hole in the rock. 8O

Back
Top Bottom