Parasite on clown?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SH4N

Aquarium Advice Regular
I found this little bug on my clownfish today, my clown seemed a bit stressed by it but eventually it fell off. can anyone tell me what it is and should i be concerned? thanks

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

(sorry could not get the image to come up here)
img6186j.jpg

ughh after reading it sounds horrible!!.. althought i dont think its possible at all to catch my fish to take it off, if it does appear on it again. do you know any other easy ways to catch or kill them?

How does one distinguish between a happy pod and these bad ones? Or can u only tell once its on a fish? Sorry to jump in but read that link and now I'm kinda worried

these are definitely different than mysid shrimp and amphipods that are common. you'll be able to tell the difference. these particular isopods are beetle-like in appearance, and aren't often seen foraging around in the detritus.

Agree... isopods really aren't "pods" like the good ones we want. They look more like potato bugs (sow bugs, pill bugs... whatever you call them where you're at!) and are actually related to them. They swim fast in the water column when they're disturbed.

All isopods aren't bad - I had some once that never bothered my fish. I still hunted them down and got rid of them, one by one. But if they're on your fish, that's not a good thing. Hopefully, that was the only one in your tank. But I've rarely come across "just one" of something in my tank - especially if it's something I don't want. Keep watching and have a fine mesh net handy so you can scoop them out of the water if you see them.

Back
Top Bottom