Parasitic Pink Worm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sadial

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is a long shot - I don't have a picture but I'm hoping someone can help me ID a worm in my tank - or give a good marine worm ID link. I've looked on this link but couldn't find a match: Worm Hitch Hikers

This worm had a white bulbous head and a pink body and a bunch of short legs. It was sperm shaped? It is not the right shape for a bristle worm. It was fast and an excellent swimmer. A picture was impossible because it was racing back and forth faster than I could track it with a camera. It was about 3 inches long and flat. It dove into the protein skimmer tray and crawled under the sponge. Then it climbed back out, zipped around, dove into the overflow box, navigated all the twists and turns, went through the plumbing and down into the refugium, shimmied out of the filter sock, into the bioballs and then I lost it.

The piano tuning guy happened to look at the tank and started screaming, "It's a parasite! It's a parasite! I know that type, I've seen them in the Caribbean, it's going to attach to your fish like a lamprey eel and suck them dry. Kill it! KILL IT!!!" I think he was prepared to dive into the tank, wrestle the worm with his bare hands, throw it on the floor and stamp it flat. Finally he calmed down but kept muttering that it was carniverous and parasitic.

So, now I have images of the sand worms in Dune running through my head. I can't find the worm. Not sure my rant will be helpful in identifying what it is. Should I look into trapping it? Is this evil worm (?) going to attach to any fish that I have and suck them dry? I think he was over reacting, myself, but he HAS been to the Caribbean... :p

it's in the sump now...your safe. even if the guy was right, the odds of a 3" worm getting through the return pump safely are lousy! better chance of getting struck by lightening.

Sadial, I don't know anything about that but I just have to say I thoroughly enjoyed reading your scenario! I got a visual of the whole thing. Ha!

Out of curiosity, Mr. X, what would you have done? Would you have netted it? It was a stroke of luck that it navigated down to the sump.

Sadial, I don't know anything about that but I just have to say I thoroughly enjoyed reading your scenario! I got a visual of the whole thing. Ha!

It was total mayhem. I think the piano tuner said the word parasite 42 times in one minute. The guy was freaking me out - I never heard a grown man squeal like that. And you know what, I don't think he's ever coming back to my house to tune the piano!

Out of curiosity, Mr. X, what would you have done? Would you have netted it? It was a stroke of luck that it navigated down to the sump.
i probably would have been a bit uncomfortable until i saw it hit the sump. that's where i would have put it if i had caught it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom