Peanut Worm? Or something worse?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dscount

Aquarium Advice Freak
Got a strange one here. At first I thought it was a snail in the sand. Then it actually came out (Different angles constantly) and just kept growing until some minor feathers (white) popped out. First it was around sand then it was just thin air.

What the heck is this? It was a PAIN to get a picture. He is WHITE with some dark black bands. Kinda triangle like and projected / retracted like a long skinny balloon. The light white dusters thru me off. I had a hermit crab nearby that didn't seem to care about it much.

I see him moving mostly on the top 1/16 inch of sand so I'm thinking he is a peanut worm. But do they come in WHITE mostly and then darken as they age. This is the first showing I've seen of this guy.

Attachments

• worm_673.jpg
    worm_673.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 28
My suggestion for the best way to get a clear pic is to catch it, put it in a tupperware container and place it in good light.
Then you can put it back in your tank if you so choose, but if you find that it's a pest, at least you already have it out. :wink:

I believe you are right, it is a peanut worm. They come in varying shades of brown, tan, cream and white. The white feather thing you seen would be it's feeding tentacles.

Thanks GinaD.

Thanks Fluff.

The more digging I did the more I had to come to that conclusion as well. Just wanted to validate in case I went the wrong way. "Sipunculid"

Back
Top Bottom