Petco Craziness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrbee2828

Aquarium Advice FINatic
While waiting for my sushi tonight, I stepped over to Petco for a bit. The SW tanks were shockingly nasty tonight. I mean, it is Petco, but the tanks at this one are usually clean and the guy that works there most times I'm in there is very knowledgeable. Anyway... there was some LR for sale that had a ton of these little blue bug like creatures and this cactus type thing on it. I couldn't get a picture of them that was clean, sorry. Just wondering what all this craziness was :)

petco-001.jpg

petco-002.jpg

No way that a monti would survive in their tanks and with their lights. its a macro algae. Pods im not sure of though. can you describe them?

They were larger than copepods, almost the size of ants. Seemed to have a rapid movement... no swimming. I was just amazed at the quantity.

ilostnemo said:
which is a calcareous macro algae.

Ya but you only told him macro algae and there is more then one type so thought id specify

probably a isopod.

Doing a bit of research, that's what they looked like. In addition it was Florida LR and apparently it's a common thing there? It appears some can kill fish... between that, the hair algae, fish swimming strange and another take with algae so think you could hardly see inside, I'll be staying away from anything at that store.

mrbee2828 said:
Doing a bit of research, that's what they looked like. In addition it was Florida LR and apparently it's a common thing there? It appears some can kill fish... between that, the hair algae, fish swimming strange and another take with algae so think you could hardly see inside, I'll be staying away from anything at that store.

Probably a good choice lol...there are thousands of isopods and many are parasitic

Back
Top Bottom